Quantcast

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Why are they still using pushrods on such a high performance motor. Serious question. I thought pretty much everything went to OHC for rev/valve float. Space? BMW puts a OHC V8 in a car.
'Merican engineering.

OHC engines are taller. Chevy claims that the reduced height allows for a lower more streamlined hood.

Reality is that they are cheaper to manufacture and they are getting some impressive power output.

By the same logic, Ford should be putting flatheads in Mustangs.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
'Merican engineering.

OHC engines are taller. Chevy claims that the reduced height allows for a lower more streamlined hood.

Reality is that they are cheaper to manufacture and they are getting some impressive power output.
the dry dump they use on some of the LS's is the reason they can get away with more streamlined hoods.
OHV engines have always been able to make crazy numbers, especially when a blower or turbo is thrown in (1200 conservative hp from the LS2 in the Venom GT)

GM just built their 100millionth small black OHV engine btw

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Why are they still using pushrods on such a high performance motor. Serious question. I thought pretty much everything went to OHC for rev/valve float. Space? BMW puts a OHC V8 in a car.
Because they wanted to use a timing chain on this particular motor instead of a belt. Keeping it a pushrod motor with a central cam reduced the weight/space needed for a dual overhead chain motor.

On top of that they can also reduce the size of the head as well<width> if they stick with a single central cam vs a dual overhead cam system. As far as cost goes, its really not a huge diference to build one or the other untill you add in that its just plai easier to fit the OHV motor into a vehicle than it is to fit a DOHC motor when your talking about v8's.

Yes BMW does it, and no you dont want to end up working on it.... there is no room to work around the motor and extremly limited space for simple things such as basic maintanance.

My biggest dissapointment with this particular line of chevy v8's is that they closed the back of the crankshaft with a freeze plug instead of welding it and milling it back down....... ANd yes it comes out, no it is not fun to replace.

Last edited: