Quantcast

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
What jd said...wheredatis?
it's gone...it was the sleeping beauty lookout...

this one is going to be torn down...green mountain lookout glacier peak wilderness

you can thank the group wilderness watch.

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
torn down why?
from the wilderness watch site...

Wilderness Watch filed the case alleging the Forest Service had violated the 1964 Wilderness Act and the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) by reconstructing the long-abandoned lookout, and by using helicopters to haul out the old building and haul in the new one. The project was done without public notice or environmental review as required by NEPA. The judge agreed with Wilderness Watch on every major point of contention in the suit.

One of the key issues involved with this case revolved around historic preservation of the lookout versus the Wilderness Act's mandate to preserve wilderness character. The Forest Service alleged that its directives for the preservation of historic structures under the National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA) require it to ignore the Wilderness Act's mandate. Judge Coughenour, citing numerous legal precedents and the plain language of the Wilderness Act, repudiated the agency's contention on this point.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Wrong. I have visited several fire lookouts while riding in National Forests here in New Mexico, all were manned.
Chances are they still exist because they meet the criteria of "historic places". I'd be surprised if even 25% of lookouts still exist when compared to the numbers they existed in in the 40's or 50's.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I love when eco morons do that. I understand it was built illegaly but punish the people who do it. I doubt demolishing the building will be good for the local ecosystem.

It's like some eco moron decided that a local dirt jump spot was placed in rare bird nesting place so they bulldozed it

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Canada's conservatives found a way to deal with problems like that:

The government has also threatened to revoke the charitable status of environmental groups that are challenging the projects. And Public Safety Canada, the equivalent of the United States Department of Homeland Security, has classified environmentalists as a potential source of domestic terrorism, adding them to a list that includes white supremacists.

If only the house was covered in oil. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/14/science/earth/canada-seeks-new-ways-to-get-oil-reserves-to-market.html