Quantcast

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
one of the best cars ever.
6 o 7 years ago, when i was 23, i bought an apparently restored, 90%+ original 68 charger. for only $6k.

i was riding around the hood, when i saw it parked in front of a house. i asked the security guard at that block if he knew what was the deal with the car, or if it was for sale, and he said he thought so. called the owner, and went to check it out.

as i was broke at the time, i had to borrow money from my dad to buy it. i had it for about 8 months... when i took it to the shop, the car was mostly rust, covered in bondo and paint..... it was in need a full resto.

i figured, the car was way too expensive to properly restore, considering i needed age-appropiate seats, and quite a few body panels were too rusted to repair... so considering i still owed like $3k to my dad, i thought i might have been better off just selling the car, and wait for another, in better shape, to appear..... it been almost 7 years, and i havent seen another one for sale yet. :(

a norwegian dude came to peru a few months after i bought that charger..... and bought most muscle cars in the city (at least 80) and exported them to europe for auctions. there are very few muscle cars left in the country; and they have quadrupled in price.

Last edited:

Droptopchevy

Monkey
Jan 1, 2009
Morrisville, PA
one of the best cars ever.
6 o 7 years ago, when i was 23, i bought an apparently restored, 90%+ original 68 charger. for only $6k.

i was riding around the hood, when i saw it parked in front of a house. i asked the security guard at that block if he knew what was the deal with the car, or if it was for sale, and he said he thought so. called the owner, and went to check it out.

as i was broke at the time, i had to borrow money from my dad to buy it. i had it for about 8 months... when i took it to the shop, the car was mostly rust, covered in bondo and paint..... it was in need a full resto.

i figured, the car was way too expensive to properly restore, considering i needed age-appropiate seats, and quite a few body panels were too rusted to repair... so considering i still owed like $3k to my dad, i thought i might have been better off just selling the car, and wait for another, in better shape, to appear..... it been almost 7 years, and i havent seen another one for sale yet. :(

a norwegian dude came to peru a few months after i bought that charger..... and bought most muscle cars in the city (at least 80) and exported them to europe for auctions. there are very few muscle cars left in the country; and they have quadrupled in price.
I always wanted one in high school. Drove one and realized how hard of a time I would have parallel parking in the city. Still want one, but for right now it's just not realistic.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I always wanted one in high school. Drove one and realized how hard of a time I would have parallel parking in the city. Still want one, but for right now it's just not realistic.
I want one too. And the machine and tire shop it would take to support same. Awesome cars...until you try to turn them...

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
not realistic for me neither, at least not at this point in life. i do have a 68 camaro with a 396 though, which appeases my cravings. i got it real cheap like 10 years ago. but someday, i will get a charger... even if i have to import the car from the US.

the charger used to get 7-8mpg in the city. and when pushed hard, i got like 5mpg. almost a dollar a mile to keep it running. a roundtrip from work, was like $20 worth of gas. which is like 2 days worth of minimal wage around here. and mopar parts are way more expensive than chevy parts. nice car, but crazy expensive to own.