Quantcast

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
That's Schwitzer (now Borg Warner) set of turbos on that bad boy. I used to build those by hand. Massive brass bearings, special circlip pliers, pain in the butt tooling and a lame box we had to put them in.

We hated having to switch the line over to build those. The worst were the tugboat and ocean liner toolings.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
were they brass ball bearings? is ceramic a bad choice for those size turbos?
they're called floating bearings. here is a picture. It's like a big brass sleeve with 4 or 5 holes bored into it. It is suspended in oil from the tranny.

http://myhome.iolfree.ie/~amartin/garrett.gif

See the two brass bushings/bearings in the center? You slide a c-clip down into the hole and pop it into a groove, then drop the bearing in and then a 2nd c-clip. Flip the housing over and repeat for the other one.

The biggest ones I ever saw were a little bigger around than a silver dollar. The ones on a Bobcat...maybe a nickel. They float in the oil and act as a damper.

The turbocharger shaft and turbine wheel assembly rotates at speeds up to 300,000 rpm.
Now imagine a piss ass tiny car turbo and you know why consumer turbos bite the dust so often. The aftermarket "re-man" commercial turbo business is HUGE!!!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
do those giant turbos spool to similar speeds as smaller ones at similar engine RPM's?
excellent question......not sure. My only other useless factoid is that if you were to take the turbine out of a tractor trailer when pulling a steep grade and put it on the ground, it would make it to California from NC the same afternoon. That and it glows cherry red under load.

Another reason car turbos blow. The intake wheel is never 100% balanced. On the big ones, a human runs them on a machine and hand balances that big fat end part that the bolt sits on, like you would with a car wheel...only they take material off a little at a time.

When you get to hear us test each turbo and an unbalanced one locks up in the machine...now that's a BANG!:D

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
doesnt look like it to me. the pipe going into the intake isnt discolored or anything since the intercooler is below.
you do know how a turbo engine works right?
sheesh :rolleyes: I was just making light of my first comment. Proximity alone will be making the intake hotter

I might be wrong, but i'd guess the chances of an intake glowing even without an intercooler would be slim.

Anyway, this thread is getting on topic again so: