Quantcast

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
in 1969 they basically stopped the flow to clear rocks below the falls and to examine how its eroding

http://photoblog.nbcnews.com/_news/2010/12/16/5661928-niagara-falls-without-water-as-seen-in-1969?lite
They pumped Hydraulic Cement (White pipe) into a Fault that became exposed so that the ice didn't fracture off Prospect Point. If Prospect Point falls into the gorge it would in theory reduce the amount of water that the hydro intakes since more water would fall over the American Falls.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
They pumped Hydraulic Cement (White pipe) into a Fault that became exposed so that the ice didn't fracture off Prospect Point. If Prospect Point falls into the gorge it would in theory reduce the amount of water that the hydro intakes since more water would fall over the American Falls.
interesting. didnt hear that before

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
interesting. didnt hear that before
If the outflow of the Niagara exceeded 500 million gallons a hour, Toronto, Hamilton, and Montreal would be flooded out of existence. As soon as the American Falls reach the main channel of the Niagara, Lake Erie will drain and become a river all the way to Detroit.... Grain that feeds the world is transported to it via the St Lawrence..... 29% of all the Electricity produced in the US is from the Niagara Region.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Emerald Pools out by Yuba Gap

Some pretty big jumps to be had there.

Okay. I grew up couple hours south of there near Sequoia National Park. There was a narrow slot canyon just like that, little water fall and everything, on the Kaweah just inside the park boundary. The highest ledge was reported to be just over 80ft. Many a high school afternoon and LULZ were had there.

Last edited: