Quantcast

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That might be funnier if we could read the whole thing.
It's actually not funny. A landlord in SF sent out a memo to residence in a rent controlled apartment sayinf you must show proof of income of $100k+ and a FICO score of 750 or higher in an effort to scare people into moving so he can rerent the apartment at current SF rates.

And it seems he's changed his mind. :rofl:

<edit> Original memo

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The fact that people actually pay that is, indeed, funny to me.
Its simple supply and demand. SF is out of real estate and there are too many motherf@ckers living there. I have a few friends who live there, it's insane. Either pony up the dough, or commute in from an hour+ away. No thanks.

Last edited:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Its simple supply and demand. SF is out of real estate and there are too many motherf@ckers living there. I have a few friends who live there, it's insane. Either pony up the dough, or commute in from an hour+ away. No thanks.
Boston is pretty similar, though I'm not sure how it stacks up in terms of CoL in the city vs. just outside it compared to SF.

As someone who doesn't care about driving and hates the city, it was a no brainer for me to buy a house an hour/50ish miles outside Boston. When I bought the house, I was working towards the city, and had a hour +/- commute each way, which was tolerable. The fact I now work more towards the wilderness was pure fvcking luck/bonus (read: 25miles with maybe 5 traffic lights on the way.)

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My lady bought her place because she works in town, but there is so little to do there minus the boat now. I drive about an hour each way, it sucks but I sometimes take Skyline home just to enjoy the drive. If the housing market can at least get to break even in a year, we hope to move closer to something cool. Like my lady says "I would like to be within stumbling distance of someplace worth going to". Lucky Portland has a lot of those. :rofl:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Boston is pretty similar, though I'm not sure how it stacks up in terms of CoL in the city vs. just outside it compared to SF.

As someone who doesn't care about driving and hates the city, it was a no brainer for me to buy a house an hour/50ish miles outside Boston. When I bought the house, I was working towards the city, and had a hour +/- commute each way, which was tolerable. The fact I now work more towards the wilderness was pure fvcking luck/bonus (read: 25miles with maybe 5 traffic lights on the way.)
Our company holds "low income housing" in Watertown, MA where a single unit runs well over $3,000 per month for rent. Market-rate must be insane in that area.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Our company holds "low income housing" in Watertown, MA where a single unit runs well over $3,000 per month for rent. Market-rate must be insane in that area.
If you are talking Lexington Street. Those apartments are pretty awesome. Pool, parking, and porch for 3k seems pretty reasonable....

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I rented an apt with a friend (who is on RM coincidentally) in Belmont, which is right next door for $1,400/month, which I thought was more than reasonable.

Renting anything in a congested place like Watertown for $3k+ is downright retarded.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
If you are talking Lexington Street. Those apartments are pretty awesome. Pool, parking, and porch for 3k seems pretty reasonable....
pool, 2 car garage, front porch & rear 3 season porch on 2 acres for almost 1/3 that....just gotta drive 45 minutes to get there

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
pool, 2 car garage, front porch & rear 3 season porch on 2 acres for almost 1/3 that....just gotta drive 45 minutes to get there

I'm with you. But just try to talk to any of my Townie relatives to even think of leaving Roslindale is unpossible. They'll punch you in the head for that level of foolishness. Things gotta turn around....