Quantcast

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Just got this setup running over the weekend. Needs to be cleaned up but running well. A little lean but it is pretty cold out. After a full warm up and heat soak cycle things are near perfect. E10 fuel has greater viscosity changes than straight gasoline making tuning for various temps a bit of a pain. The noise it makes is awesome.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Just got this setup running over the weekend. Needs to be cleaned up but running well. A little lean but it is pretty cold out. After a full warm up and heat soak cycle things are near perfect. E10 fuel has greater viscosity changes than straight gasoline making tuning for various temps a bit of a pain. The noise it makes is awesome.

That's hot. That engine shot is from a rare 1970 Fairlady Z 432 (the 432 refers to four valve, three carburetor, dual-cam). Same engine as the Skyline with triples. I had a ton of NISMO bits on my '72 240Z, cam, headers, and triple SK's.

Like this only not as clean. :rofl:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Just got this setup running over the weekend. Needs to be cleaned up but running well. A little lean but it is pretty cold out. After a full warm up and heat soak cycle things are near perfect. E10 fuel has greater viscosity changes than straight gasoline making tuning for various temps a bit of a pain. The noise it makes is
Is the two carburetors on the Volvo? Help the non car fixing guy with a little more info? There is still a crazy amount of space you need to put more stuff in there.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
T
That's hot. That engine shot is from a rare 1970 Fairlady Z 432 (the 432 refers to four valve, three carburetor, dual-cam). Same engine as the Skyline with triples. I had a ton of NISMO bits on my '72 240Z, cam, headers, and triple SK's.

Like this only not as clean. :rofl:
That apears to have 6 mikuni HSRs. I'm running dual HSRs on the wagon. Nice enough carbs but they really have issues with temperatures. With no emulsion tubes temperature based viscosity changes play havoc with the mixture. A good choice for the west coast but I have to deal with 40 degree temperature differences day to day. Will eventually go fuel injection, slowly picking up the required parts when I find them cheap.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Is the two carburetors on the Volvo? Help the non car fixing guy with a little more info? There is still a crazy amount of space you need to put more stuff in there.
Those are Weber DCOE 45 carburetors. Was pretty much the pinnacle of technology when carbs were king. Used in Formula 1 engines until fuel injection came around. There is a lot of room in that engine bay, makes working on the car nice and easy, for the most part.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
You get a lot more horsepower out of the engine? What is the round dial on what looks like the fuel hose that goes to the carburetors?

What about the brakes don't old cars like that have shitty brakes?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You get a lot more horsepower out of the engine? What is the round dial on what looks like the fuel hose that goes to the carburetors?

What about the brakes don't old cars like that have shitty brakes?
I mounted a spare tachometer in the engine compartment to aid in tuning. With a higher compression head, cam, carbs and exhaust I am probably getting 130 HP to the wheels, It only had 115 at the crank when new. 0-60 times have dropped about 3 seconds. Volvo has always been a little nutty when it came to safety. As a result the old cars still have very nice brakes, this car, a 1969 142, has four wheel disks with redundant hydraulic lines.

Edit: there is a tach mounted in the background. The dial on the fuel line is a fuel pressure regulator. Those Webers cannot handle the 7 psi the stock fuel pump delivers.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Will eventually go fuel injection, slowly picking up the required parts when I find them cheap.
That was supposed to be triple SK's offered by NISMO. Mine were straight out of the catalog, they made amazing parts for the Z and it was all Nissan Racing proven.

One reason I sold my '72 and bought a '78 was the fuel injection. I'm too old to muck with carbs, same goes for points timing. :rofl:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That was supposed to be triple SK's offered by NISMO. Mine were straight out of the catalog, they made amazing parts for the Z and it was all Nissan Racing proven.

One reason I sold my '72 and bought a '78 was the fuel injection. I'm too old to muck with carbs, same goes for points timing. :rofl:

I would much rather have a nice tunable carb than 70-80's era fuel injection. They were typically hardwired to work with the stock engine, put a new muffler on and the tuning goes to hell. I'll be using a Megasquirt when go FI. Already using it to control my ignition timing. Still using a standard distributor but have the advance locked out. MS gives me a 3-d timing map vs RPM only. Doesn't do much for peak power but it has done wonders for my idle stability and part throttle response.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I would much rather have a nice tunable carb than 70-80's era fuel injection. They were typically hardwired to work with the stock engine, put a new muffler on and the tuning goes to hell. I'll be using a Megasquirt when go FI. Already using it to control my ignition timing. Still using a standard distributor but have the advance locked out. MS gives me a 3-d timing map vs RPM only. Doesn't do much for peak power but it has done wonders for my idle stability and part throttle response.
I will say one of the very nice additions to the C5 Corvette is the ability to tune using the stock ECU. No "chipping" and crap, and some of the handheld tuners do an ok job for bolt on upgrades like air/exhaust mods.

I had very few issues with the SK setup once I got it dialed, but I tried to do dual carbs on my sons VW and they were a nightmare. Ended up running a single 2 barrel setup.

My buddy Mark went from building VW based sand rails to Honda Vtec with turbo setups. You can do a lot with FI.