Quantcast

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Value for tax dollars
Great value for Raytheon shareholders, retired Admirals and Raytheon supported politicians.

Looks like Raytheon spent a measly 10 million dollars between campaign contributions and "lobbying" last year. Pretty solid ROI.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
while i am all for building/living in something like this...i would have to have an incinerator type outhouse....fuck taking a dump in a glorified litter box.
I've used some pit toilets in the San Juan Islands that were downright pleasant. The key is a solar powered vent fan and a supply of cedar chips to drop in when your done dropping in.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I've used some pit toilets in the San Juan Islands that were downright pleasant. The key is a solar powered vent fan and a supply of cedar chips to drop in when your done dropping in.
the vault toilet at the little john lookout in cali was immaculate....you could camp in there if you were desperate.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
the vault toilet at the little john lookout in cali was immaculate....you could camp in there if you were desperate.
A buddy of mine slept in a pit toilet when doing the Tour Divide. It was a better alternative to a bivy sack on a cold rainy night at altitude.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
agreed-those numbers are bs based on only people who use singletracks.

from a selfish prick sort of angle, let people think that and more people make the long drive to tsali...less asshattery on the trails i like to ride that are half as far away.

Last edited:
Douthat is popular because of the amenities and the fact that it is rideable for beginners yet still fun for experienced riders. From my point of view there are much better trails in the area but a lot of riders are going to need a Pegasus ride home.
i always liked douthat, but there are plenty more "backcountry-ish" options in the relative area...
Sing out, bishes!

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
things off the parkway; big levels/sherando lakes; stuff in the hills sw of harrisburg...@westy can probably provide more specifics, as it's been almost 15 years since i lived there, and i barely scratched the surface

Sometime next year I need to go to Brevard to bury my uncle. I plan to ride there and make my way back up the Appalachians, operating out of my van, staying in campgrounds. Last time, with V, it was Dupont, Pisgah, Tsali, and Rothrock. Westy and jstuhlman, any stop and ride recommendations would be highly appreciated. Iffen you want to change channels, johnbryanpeters gmail.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
things off the parkway; big levels/sherando lakes; stuff in the hills sw of harrisburg...@westy can probably provide more specifics, as it's been almost 15 years since i lived there, and i barely scratched the surface
I hit Sherando most often because it is just so damn close. I love that place. Climb up some steep ass buff and narrow switchbacks to the top of the mountain. Two great options down. Has a bit of everything, some great flow section, some fast as fuck technical sections, some butt puckering sections and one NOPE section.

Over in harrisonburg the trails at massanutten are fantastic. A little farther west and you have the GWNF, mecca IMO. We really should do a Monkey Fest here. http://www.stokesvillelodge.com/