Quantcast

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Although to be fair, in most cases a bear is really just interested in eating your Kind bars and beef jerky, whereas a lion and/or tiger prefer the human flavored beef jerky (or aggressive frolicking as westy might say).
My Cat is a Killing Machine. If she can catch it. It is dead. My neighbor asked me to not let her up on the roof anymore as He is sick of picking up dead pigeons and squirrels.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
My Cat is a Killing Machine. If she can catch it. It is dead. My neighbor asked me to not let her up on the roof anymore as He is sick of picking up dead pigeons and squirrels.
Ours stays inside, but crickets and flies are annihilated.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Yeah, good on Oz...thankfully, they've taken strong and effective stances against invasive species like sheep, rabbits, cane toads, cattle, dingos, etc...and protected native species like Tasmanian Tigers.
They do just like America has various control programs for almost all other feral animals including feral hogs, horse, dogs, exotic snakes etc.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
They do just like America has various control programs for almost all other feral animals including feral hogs, horse, dogs, exotic snakes etc.

Yep, often using poison chemicals to *try* to control rabbit and cane toad populations. Btw, those some of those "cats" you posted look to be huge by domestic cat standards. Do you know if they are mixed with a larger northern hemisphere species like a lynx?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Yep, often using poison chemicals to *try* to control rabbit and cane toad populations. Btw, those some of those "cats" you posted look to be huge by domestic cat standards. Do you know if they are mixed with a larger northern hemisphere species like a lynx?
Poisons aren't the only control methods being used but are more often the choice because of the extremely limited budgets and staff.

Older poisons are an issue in parts of Oz but it's a big country. The new drug is feline/canine specific (both exotic in Oz), humane (approved by the Oz vet association and it has an antidote for pet owners), and it won't kill Oz natives easily other than goannas which just means it has to be applied correctly:

A key difference between the Curiosity® bait and conventionally produce baits…is that the toxicant is housed in an encapsulated pellet which is inserted into the Curiosity® boat. While many wildlife species are expected to consume the bait, the size and hardness of the pellet…has been demonstrated to lead to rejection, i.e. spitting out of the pellet by the vast majority of these species. This approach reduced the exposure of non-target native species by exploiting the different feeding behaviors exhibited by feral cats compared to native species
PAPP was first investigated as an antidote to cyanide poisoning in humans. Effects have been investigated in a range of species over the last 60–70 years including: rodents, birds, reptiles, rabbits, marsupials and primates (including humans). Members of the dog and cat families are highly susceptible compared with other species, due to the unique way that they metabolise PAPP.

PAPP and its metabolites are rapidly excreted so most of a sub-lethal dose will be cleared within 24 hours.
The risk of secondary poisoning is also very low, as a susceptible animal would need to eat the stomach contents or vomit of a poisoned animal soon after its death — before the toxin degrades.
PAPP is broken down in soil and water by microorganisms, is non-toxic to earthworms and other soil-dwelling life and is not considered to pose a threat to the environment. The low doses in baits, and legal restrictions on the number of baits allowed to be laid in a given area, mean that the environmental impact will be very low. PAPP is not readily water soluble and the quantities involved in typical baiting programs are too low to have any adverse effects on water courses.
More on Curiosity and smarter control approaches

They are regular feral cats living in favorable exotic conditions, just like this one:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Dettol:

In Australia, Dettol spray has been shown to be lethal to cane toads, an invasive species that was introduced from Hawaii, as a result of bad judgment, in 1935. It had been hoped that the amphibian would control the cane beetle but it became highly destructive within the ecosystem. Spraying the disinfectant at close range has been shown to cause rapid death to toads. It is not known whether the toxins are persistent or whether they harm other Australian flora and fauna.

Owing to concerns over potential harm to other Australian wildlife species, the use of Dettol as an agent for pest control was banned in Western Australia by the Department of Environment and Conservation in 2011.