Quantcast

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
As I was surfing on Dirt's website, they did a round-up of mountainbikers reaction to Brexit. Cris Ball posted on twitter, (and I'm paraphrasing a bit) "what do a pigs head and Britain have in common?" I thought that was pretty cheeky.... I'm sure he's gutted.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
As I was surfing on Dirt's website, they did a round-up of mountainbikers reaction to Brexit. Cris Ball posted on twitter, (and I'm paraphrasing a bit) "what do a pigs head and Britain have in common?" I thought that was pretty cheeky.... I'm sure he's gutted.
lolz

"What is the EU?" is the second top UK question on the EU since the #EURefResults were officially announced pic.twitter.com/1q4VAX3qcm

— GoogleTrends (@GoogleTrends) June 24, 2016

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
The English football team were just following the referendum and performing a Brexit from the competition.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
May I guess?

Looks like some kind of injector with a chunk of shit stuck to it via mysterious forces such as magnets.
You're close. Magnetic chip detectors, how do they work? The chunk of shit is of a yet to be determined nature and origin. It is the biggest thing I've seen come out of an engine that still ran.

You don't work on helicopters do you?
God forbid!

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Well good on that, because the chip detectors in helicopters are more of a "you have 20 seconds to live" warning.
My only experience on helicopters came from an emergency landing of a A-star with a chip light that came on near the FBO I was working at many moons ago. Chip detector looked like a metal cactus. A flatbed truck picked up the ship later that afternoon. /Coolstorybro

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
So how do you go about chasing down the source of a chip or chips?
Broadly speaking, you don't. It's usually a case of "within limits", "allowable" with restrictions, or "unallowable", depending on a wide variety of factors, including, but not limited too, size, shape, ferrous or non, etc. In this case, the engine is brand new (17.8 hours total). GE has a quite lengthy procedure that I spent most of yesterday accomplishing that has us drain the oil, collect oil samples and send to analysis, replace filters, check the screens in the various sumps, run bejeesus out of engine, repeat twice more. In this case, we never actually found any more metal.

It's possible that what I found was some sort of assembly goober, but that will be determined by the good folks at the oil analysis place. They use black magic and voodoo to determine exactly what section of the engine debris comes from based what ever kind of metal the pieces are made out of. Which is neat, in theory, but the reality for us is that if any of it falls into any of the "unallowable" categories the whole engine has to come off, so where exactly inside the engine is coming apart is a fairly academic procedure.

Recently, we had another brand new airplane making metal in the right engine. It kept making metal pretty much every time we did the flush/filter procedure. Oil analysis came back and the only place that plane went was to SLC on a ferry permit to have the engine yarded off.

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Broadly speaking, you don't. It's usually a case of "within limits", "allowable" with restrictions, or "unallowable", depending on a wide variety of factors, including, but not limited too, size, shape, ferrous or non, etc. In this case, the engine is brand new (17.8 hours total). GE has a quite lengthy procedure that I spent most of yesterday accomplishing that has us drain the oil, collect oil samples and send to analysis, replace filters, check the screens in the various sumps, run bejeesus out of engine, repeat twice more. In this case, we never actually found any more metal.

It's possible that what I found was some sort of assembly goober, but that will be determined by the good folks at the oil analysis place. They use black magic and voodoo to determine exactly what section of the engine debris comes from based what ever kind of metal the pieces are made out of. Which is neat, in theory, but the reality for us is that if any of it falls into any of the "unallowable" categories the whole engine has to come off, so where exactly inside the engine is coming apart is a fairly academic procedure.

Recently, we had another brand new airplane making metal in the right engine. It kept making metal pretty much every time we did the flush/filter procedure. Oil analysis came back and the only place that plane went was to SLC on a ferry permit to have the engine yarded off.
I can certainly say I had some parts that went across my desk that had some pretty significant chunks of metal liberated from them. Granted they typically didn't come out in a single piece like that, more gradual erosion, but there were some significant damage. Then again all my parts were flowpath so they probably just blew downstream damaging stuff in their wake.