Quantcast

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

These two gents were calling elk in the Saddle Hills south of Woking, Alberta when this big guy slipped in on the caller. The Shooter spotted the bear about 8 yards from the caller and dropped him with 5 shots out of his 338 Rem Mag.. Farmers in the area knew about the bear but weren’t able to track after it had killed 3 horses, 5 cows, 13 sheep and a pen full of chickens on several different homesteads in the area. Fish and wildlife had bear traps set up in the area but notice on surveillance video that when ever a he would enter his hump would hit the top of the culvert trap slowing him enough that the trap door would wack him on the head before he was all the way in the reap. Check out the scar tissue on his face….. Bear weighed in just under 1300 pounds and would have stood 11 ¾ feet tall on its hind legs…..

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
i'm sure if you were 20 feet away you would just be smiling and looking at the pretty bear too
Hell no. But either way, the loss of two (of 4 billion +) has a lot less impact to the species than a mature breeding male in a species with a global population of ~200k.

I'm just saying...

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I am sure both were honestly hunting elk, and I am sure he honestly didn't hear a 1300lb bear that was only ~20 feet away. As far as the destruction the bear may have been causing... it's a bear.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Hell no. But either way, the loss of two (of 4 billion +) has a lot less impact to the species than a mature breeding male in a species with a global population of ~200k.

I'm just saying...
so if you and the missus should be eviscerated by a bear on a trail ride.... we should celebrate?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I am not going to quote and requote... SO I will say it simply

For those saying that the bear shouldnt have been shot, or think you would have heard that bear ETc Etc...... You need to spend more time in the wild.

A bear that size can easily sneak up behind you without you ever knowing it..... I am with Jon on this one......Anyone who says if they were out in the wild, end up with a bear that size that close..... if your going to say your not going to shoot it... I call total bull****.........

Deep down, no matter what you feel now..... You are still going to put Human life first...... NOONE here is going to stand by while a bear eats a human and just say... Oh well they were here first so its just nature..... nJon, I owe you rep BTW

Now get back to the damn pictures

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I am sure both were honestly hunting elk, and I am sure he honestly didn't hear a 1300lb bear that was only ~20 feet away. As far as the destruction the bear may have been causing... it's a bear.
all depends... were they on private or public property? if it was private, (with permission) anything is fair game.

at least that's how it is in most states.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I am not going to quote and requote... SO I will say it simply

...important statement....

Now get back to the damn pictures
Ever see te vid of the momma grizzly when the dude is filming them about 100 yards away through the trees? She catches his scent and bull rushes him in something less than 3 seconds, but he fires his pistol in the air to spook her.

Respect.

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
Ever see te vid of the momma grizzly when the dude is filming them about 100 yards away through the trees? She catches his scent and bull rushes him in something less than 3 seconds, but he fires his pistol in the air to spook her.

Respect.
Yes, and if I remember correctly all they found was his camera and some bloody clothes.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Yes, and if I remember correctly all they found was his camera and some bloody clothes.
Nah, the gun actually startled her away. My reference was just to their ridiculous closing speed. No human gets more than 10 steps before being brought down.

Oh, and that crap about the bear solely preying on all those animals. BS too. They did a study in Montana using a square of barb wire and motion sensors to try to determine the decline of the grizzlies. They'd only been able to find evidence of less than a half dozen.

After testing DNA from the barb wire, they found something in the realm of FIFTY different bear's DNA from just this one spot!!!!:shocked: (wish I could remember the exact numbers of just one single site)

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head

Respect.
I have..... Its friggin amazing. You second post on how they used the barb wire to truly test how many bears are there....... That just proves that your not going to see them all the time and at times you wont see or hear them till they are right on you.

I have used my pistol to spook a bear before and in my case they left the area, I have also seen footage of fisherman firing a warning shot to spook a bear in which the bear just kept coming until they actually shot the bear as well.

Again the overall point is, we can all say what we think about it, but none of it means a damn thing until you have been in that situation were you see a person about to be mauled. Truth from everyone on this, no bull**** answer, would you really just sit by and watch someone get attacked by a wild animal? The answer is no, if your carying youll start shooting.... its Human nature to do so.

Not trying to argue what was right or wrong etc etc, just that if the facts in the story are true then noone can say the hunters did wrong.

On the note of hunting on private land...... Depends on the animal, Potected animals will still require a license, to be in season, require claim tags, and will have to be of proper size, sex, and age.

clarkenstein

Monkey
Nov 28, 2008
i went to google images and google'd "obsolete monkey structure" and this came up on the first page. i was disappointed- i see no monkey in this picture.