Quantcast

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It blew and suddenly didn't. With the loudest steel cracking sound I've ever heard. Pretty impressive what broke actually.

It's 830pm and I just finished the driveway I agreed to do if I fixed another neighbor's blower which had a lesser problem, plus the 3ft berm in all the above.

It's amazing what bearings and driveshafts installed in 1997 look like in 2022
Unless you are talking about rust it is really about hours of operation. I deal with a lot of stuff that runs 24 hours a day 7 days a week for decades. Some just completely disintegrates, other shit just keeps going. It is all about what it is designed for. However Japanese shit from the 90s tends to be designed and built like the latter.

I have an old microwave I bought used for $5 in 1998. I have been actively trying to kill it by solely cleaning it with bleach and a pressure washer for over a decade, it will not die. It started making funny noises at one point but it was just s loose screw on the sheet metal cover. Out of pure respect I can't bring myself to get rid of it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
That's the way I feel about my 450 dollar snowblower which I could sell tomorrow for 2k just because of the stickers on it :rofl:

This particular machine was used by one of the larger restaurants here to clear their parking.....so yeah, duh, this thing has some hours. Given the wiggle of some of the bearings I just had to access I can't believe it even functioned this morning.

Have you seen how much plastic is on rideit's electric one? We have no future. I will donate a kidney to keep this thing running.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That's the way I feel about my 450 dollar snowblower which I could sell tomorrow for 2k just because of the stickers on it :rofl:

This particular machine was used by one of the larger restaurants here to clear their parking.....so yeah, duh, this thing has some hours. Given the wiggle of some of the bearings I just had to access I can't believe it even functioned this morning.

Have you seen how much plastic is on rideit's electric one? We have no future. I will donate a kidney to keep this thing running.

Kidneys make terrible bearings. In a pinch a properly tanned hide and plenty of grease will do, but really more of a bushing.

If the shafts or bearing housings are worn look to Loctite 640.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Unless you are talking about rust it is really about hours of operation. I deal with a lot of stuff that runs 24 hours a day 7 days a week for decades. Some just completely disintegrates, other shit just keeps going. It is all about what it is designed for. However Japanese shit from the 90s tends to be designed and built like the latter.

I have an old microwave I bought used for $5 in 1998. I have been actively trying to kill it by solely cleaning it with bleach and a pressure washer for over a decade, it will not die. It started making funny noises at one point but it was just s loose screw on the sheet metal cover. Out of pure respect I can't bring myself to get rid of it.
we sell machines like our vacuums where on paper the specs are the same but one is designed for occasional use and the other from the industrial range can run 24 hour a day. Same on high pressure washers where you know the average dad buys one and then it sits in the garage unused except that one weekend when the wife forced him to clean the patio.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I’ve always use sewing machine oil, it’s just the right weight, until I got ceramics. Been running ceramics on my longboards for a couple of years now and they’ve been great. The ceramics I have have steel races so I put a teeny bit of lube in, not sure they need it though.
I've never messed with ceramic bearings before because I'm way too cheap. But for what they were offering them for I had to try them.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

The middle and high school I went to had no stalls for the shitters. Taking a dump was pretty much an invitation to have your human rights violated. I discovered that if you climbed the ladder up to the old school manual scoreboards in the gyms they had their own lockable private shitters. I guarantee that some of my old classmates still have PTSD from having to drop a deuce at school. I luxuriated in my own private facilities for 6 years and never told another single soul about it until after I graduated.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The middle and high school I went to had no stalls for the shitters. Taking a dump was pretty much an invitation to have your human rights violated. I discovered that if you climbed the ladder up to the old school manual scoreboards in the gyms they had their own lockable private shitters. I guarantee that some of my old classmates still have PTSD from having to drop a deuce at school. I luxuriated in my own private facilities for 6 years and never told another single soul about it until after I graduated.
And here I thought not having stall doors in boot camp in the Navy was bad, damn.