Quantcast

Random Poly Picture Thread

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
With all the late shows and every other media outlet and meme (including us) making fun of trump, I really wonder sometimes if were not trivialising things to the point where people forget how bad this shit actually is.

Its like were not taking things nearly as serious as we should be.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
With all the late shows and every other media outlet and meme (including us) making fun of trump, I really wonder sometimes if were not trivialising things to the point where people forget how bad this shit actually is.

humor is a coping mechanism

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am

One half of the US population does recognize that this is not normal and is politely raising their hands while waiting to speak. The other half recognizes the situation as well, but loudly proclaims "so what".

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Yes I understand. And thats great and helpful in some situations, but I sometimes get the feeling people have become desensitized because all we do is laugh about it.

I think a lot of people need to be reminded just how bad all of this actually is.
Actually its the same on the other side. It is quite comical listening to the far left cry & whine since Trump was elected. Want him out? Vote him out, its that simple. Problem is, if the economy and jobs keep rising, he's going to be a tough one to beat. Again, at this point Biden will be the lefts best chance of beating Trump. If Sanders gets the nomination, he'll lose. I was talking to my mom & other family who are all total democrats and can't stand Trump. However they did in fact say, if Sanders or Warren are nominated they will actually vote for Trump. I think this would be the case with most moderate democrats, especially the retired ones living off their investments. Keep in mind, we're from CA and already pay some of the highest taxes in the country, not to mention the cost of living here, so its a tough sell for them having Sanders/Warren going after more of their money.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California

In all seriousness, how bad are things? I get it you hate Trump, and that's totally fine. Trump just signed the USMCA deal that will hopefully bring more jobs to struggling cities, like Detroit. More jobs, people can now be able to pay for their healthcare and support themselves. Is that bad? Just signed the first phase of trade with China, which should really help the farmers. Is that bad? Unemployment is down, meaning people aren't relying as much on government handouts. Is that bad? Life isn't free, somebody has to pay for it. Again, I'm for a flat tax, everyone pays the same percentage whether you make $15K a year or $1M. That makes it fair for all.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

@mandown: Care to address the flat tax fallacy?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

who cares about freedom and democracy when the economy is good?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210

You mean the “it seems simple so it must be good” policy that unfairly burdens the people at the lower end of the income spectrum?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Yes, the one that only brian dead fucking morons think is a good idea.
I mean, it seems “fair” if you think that everyone paying one percentage-rate on their income is fair, because it is uniform.

However, there are various forms of income, and many are alien to those unfamiliar with the intricacies of the tax code. If you don’t know that a type of income exists, then how do you consider the impact it might have without relying on others to tell you?

A layer of complexity exists in that “income” can be considered in categories, like cost-of-living vs. disposable. The “poverty line” dictates how much you have of each.

If you have Joe Sixpack earning $100 and 100% of his income is needed for cost of living, then a 10% flat tax means he’s got $90 to survive on. Set the poverty line at $100 and he’s going into debt to survive.

Now Doc Dentist who makes $1,000 and pays the same 10% walks away with $900 at the end of the day. With the same $100 poverty line, he’s now sitting on $800 of disposable income to buy carbon 29’s or invest in real estate (that Mr. Sixpack might live in), or pay investment advisors to suggest how to tax-defer his investment income, allowing his extra money to earn extra money.

Everyone pays 10% of “income” so it’s fair AF by that metric of fairness.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I mean, it seems “fair” if you think that everyone paying one percentage-rate on their income is fair, because it is uniform.

However, there are various forms of income, and many are alien to those unfamiliar with the intricacies of the tax code. If you don’t know that a type of income exists, then how do you consider the impact it might have without relying on others to tell you?

A layer of complexity exists in that “income” can be considered in categories, like cost-of-living vs. disposable. The “poverty line” dictates how much you have of each.

If you have Joe Sixpack earning $100 and 100% of his income is needed for cost of living, then a 10% flat tax means he’s got $90 to survive on. Set the poverty line at $100 and he’s going into debt to survive.

Now Doc Dentist who makes $1,000 and pays the same 10% walks away with $900 at the end of the day. With the same $100 poverty line, he’s now sitting on $800 of disposable income to buy carbon 29’s or invest in real estate (that Mr. Sixpack might live in), or pay investment advisors to suggest how to tax-defer his investment income, allowing his extra money to earn extra money.

You make a strong case.

Brian's response before he actually has a chance to post it:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

Yeah.....That doesn't fit on a bumper sticker. :disgust1:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Clearly it’s a condensed and simplified summary. There are various shades of fuzzy colors between the black and white I described, but I was making a point on a bike forum using my phone, not submitting this for peer reviewed journal.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California

of course CNN won’t say anything positive about the deal, how can you when CNN is anti Trump

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
of course CNN won’t say anything positive about the deal, how can you when CNN is anti Trump
But if it’s anti Trump yetstill correct because it is actually bad, how will you know? By the same logic, all pro Trump sources will universally praise it, regardless of it is good or bad.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
But if it’s anti Trump yetstill correct because it is actually bad, how will you know? By the same logic, all pro Trump sources will universally praise it, regardless of it is good or bad.
Time will tell if it becomes a success. In his defense, he's trying to make a difference to bring jobs back from other countries. Actually I think quite a few on the left supported the idea, not one president in recent years had the balls to go after it. The economy is cranking, unemployment is at a 50 year low, consumer confidence is high. I don't know, but something seems to be working right.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Find me some positive details. Please. I'm waiting for them still.

BTW, NAFTA and USMCA are negligibly different:

- 75% of parts must be made in 3 countries; 40% must be made by people making >$16. 72% of car manufacturing employee in the US make <$19/hr; 41% make $15.38-$19. Not a huge raise to get those people really close up to $16... And really easy to drop that low cost production to Mexico.

- Stronger labor laws in Mexico. That's good. I'll believe it when I see it.

-
The original NAFTA eliminated tariffs on most agricultural products traded among the three countries. Canada and Mexico are already the two biggest export markets for US farmers and ranchers.
The USMCA will keep those tariffs at zero, while further opening up the Canadian market to US dairy, poultry and eggs. In return, the United States will allow more Canadian dairy, peanuts and peanut products, as well as a limited amount of sugar, to cross the border.
Markets primarily hiring illegal immigrants (agriculture) in the US.

- Digital Age updates -
The new provisions aren't expected to directly create new jobs, but could provide a boost to US businesses in other ways.
Shelters companies from liability internationally; what's the economic boost? Just reduction of liability?

- Better environmental protections for international spill-overs. Good. Only $600mm. Oh.

Last edited: