Quantcast

Random Poly Picture Thread

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Serious question: is there any topic about a certain region regarding any particular cultural phenomenon, no matter how stark, how unique or remarkable, that affluent white people will not immediately and reflexively just bring up where they've fucking eaten near that locale?

-"Holy shit did you see the explosion in Beirut?"

-"Aw shucks, there was a place there that had really good tabbouleh, I hope it's okay"
i do not think i have....but i am not that affluent...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Why, no custom down codpieces in their new collection this year ?
They are largely responsible for funding the groups that are always suing the forest service over important things like a hateful old hiker doesn't want a mountainbike trail there.

Also part of the reason we don't have healthy fire resistant forests in the west.

Also the owner bought up a bunch of land in patagonia proper, kicked off all the locals and created a rich honkey retreat where smug fucks can go and pat themselves on the back for their 'conservation mindset' after they flew there in private jets.

The fact that they're after mountainbiker money now is fucking hilarious to me. They are embodiment of image over reality. The perfect brand for self-important white america who can't be bothered with details.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Funny. As a mountainbiker and snowmobiler, patagonia are the assholes.
They are largely responsible for funding the groups that are always suing the forest service over important things like a hateful old hiker doesn't want a mountainbike trail there.

Also part of the reason we don't have healthy fire resistant forests in the west.

Also the owner bought up a bunch of land in patagonia proper, kicked off all the locals and created a rich honkey retreat where smug fucks can go and pat themselves on the back for their 'conservation mindset' after they flew there in private jets.

The fact that they're after mountainbiker money now is fucking hilarious to me. They are embodiment of image over reality. The perfect brand for self-important white america who can't be bothered with details.
They keep America warm and dry as they walk from yoga class to the Whole Foods

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I do believe that mtb doesn't need access to every wildness area and that there should be some wilderness areas set aside for minimal impact and access. The problem comes from allowing shit like horses and pack animals and some of the general fuckery of hikers that create 30 foot wide scree-paths (around here). The horses and pack animals is especially screwed up, given how much they impact trails compared to mtb.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I do believe that mtb doesn't need access to every wildness area and that there should be some wilderness areas set aside for minimal impact and access.
Gee if only we didn't already have millions of acres of those.

This is not starting from scratch. The problem is these groups have created a business model. You should see of the salaries these 'directors' get. That doesn't depend on keeping what's already protected wilderness, which we HAVE A SHIT OF. They depend on constantly trying to make more so they can send out mailers about having 'protected' something, even though in many cases there isn't really anything to protect from.

I have yet to meet anyone who actually knows at a detailed level what these groups do that goes into the histrionic defense of "well golly gee shucks, I don't think bikes should be allowed everywhere". Because they're already not.

Go check out the boulder white clouds wilderness stuff in Idaho sometime. What used to be some very good, very long mtb descents are now just growing over since becoming wilderness, because no one uses them. It's stupid. It's the incessant expansion that's the problem, not the general concept.

And as evidenced by your horsey experience, it has nothing to do with the environment. It's a social cleansing of the undesirables by the donor class. And after years of causing lost access, and preventing the potential for future access, they realized they can sell fanny packs to rubes who don't know any better. Can't say that they're wrong but it's accepting a donation out of your right pocket while stealing from your left one.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Go check out the boulder white clouds wilderness stuff in Idaho sometime. What used to be some very good, very long mtb descents are now just growing over since becoming wilderness, because no one uses them. It's stupid. It's the incessant expansion that's the problem, not the general concept.
Wife and I hit Antz Basin the day before we got married, always wanted to ride there again and other trails nearby next time we visited. Then it got wildernessed :(