Quantcast

Random Poly Picture Thread

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
All hell breaks loose when the poors get a little bit of the rich people action...

I guess I don't know the specifics but it is a bit unfair as it only benefits those who have loans, certainly not as bad as tax breaks for the wealthy or corporations. A student loan credit that is retroactive and lets people who may have not gotten a secondary education because of cost take advantage of it would be more fair.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I guess I don't know the specifics but it is a bit unfair as it only benefits those who have loans, certainly not as bad as tax breaks for the wealthy or corporations. A student loan credit that is retroactive and lets people who may have not gotten a secondary education because of cost take advantage of it would be more fair.
A service that dropped the cost of tuition so it was more accessible to a broader range of people would be better than throwing money at all the people who took out loans.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
I mean... G&T should at *least* adjust for inflation. That $175 in 2022 dollars would be $1500. I'm sure that tuition at UNC isn't MUCH more than that now, right?

Oh, wait.

Per semester: Taking 12+ credit hours (Full Load): $4,490.06

So instead of $1500 as it should be, it is $9000.

:disgust:
Come on now, the education that kids receive these days is *at least* 10 times better than it was back in the day. These kids are getting a bargain, and they have the nerve to complain about it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
A service that dropped the cost of tuition so it was more accessible to a broader range of people would be better than throwing money at all the people who took out loans.

yes but the reason this is an issue is because loan practices have changed. People end up paying multiples of the borrowed amount because the loans themselves balloon up with compounding interest that now mimics some of the predatory shit going on with home loans in the early 2000s.

If youll remember, all same whiners bitched about personal responsibility back then too

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
In state tuition at the University Of Washington is still about half of what I paid 30 years ago for an equivalent private education in NYS. However the room and board aspect of it is insane. Part of that is Seattle simply being expensive but student house and gone all luxury. My on campus accommodations where slightly nicer than jail cells and my off campus housing should have been shut down for a variety of health and code violations.

I graduated with debt about 1.5 times my starting salary despite having scholarships and grants that covered 75% of my costs.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Here's the beef I have, schools want to accept any and everyone that is bringing in money to the school. The actual "schooling" part gets left behind in search of fresh infusion of cash. School recruiters and personnel paint overly optimistic pictures of post-schooling employment opportunities and wages. In reality, they have nothing really vested there. So this means rich people? Bring em in! Kids with tons of loan money? Cash is cash! The more the merrier! The school itself balloons up to a gigantic institution able to accommodate so many students, have to build more housing to accommodate, more teachers, and then have to get more funding to support all that stuff. They are mostly non-profits, even the private schools, so they need to dump their money back into the school.

Sooo, we need to tie the loans to the schools IMO. If the kid doesn't graduate and the job prospects were false or not as good as advertised, make the school pay it back. I guarantee the schools would get a hell of a lot more selective AND put a lot more resources towards actual job placement if this were the case. This way you eliminate the issue of "fake" institutions that don't really offer education. This would also put it on the lenders to lend to accredited and real/effective institutions. Real quick they would be vetting these institutions and ensuring that this was the case. It would bring accountability into the system.

What they tried to pull over our eyes is that in a couple years you'll be flying for a major airline earning hundreds of thousands of dollars a year! While those amounts are true for major airline captains, especially ones going to foreign destinations, there are so many aviation jobs in between and it would often take 8-10 years just to get to a major airline. In reality, they are using a small slice of the industry to try and attract people and the truly horrible situations are the ones that get to training put in a few years, and figure out that flying isn't for them. They change their major, but they've dumped 100 grand or more into flight training. Sunk cost becomes a huge issue with any universities. They also didn't tell us that previously, most major airline pilots were ex-military. The whole civilian-to-major airline thing was relatively new in the industry and fairly rare. It's much bigger now, but the competition for these jobs is off the charts. And the in-between pilot jobs? They were poverty wages. Hell, for some of these you had to pay THEM for the "experience"... The industry is built on experience, not where you went to school. So a fancy degree, but no jet time, no type ratings, no thousands of hours of pilot-in-command, it's just a paper to wipe your ass. How do you survive in between? Some people worked for said universities as instructors, went into new degree programs and deferred their original loans...all the while interest is compounding.

I was also the product of "my family makes too much because they spend it on boats, but my family tells me I have to somehow fund college myself". Like literally, boats. So I had to take out quite a few loans. They helped out a little as we got in jams (my brother still going through this) as we got much further into school, possibly realizing the above, but the damage was done by then.

It's a pretty out of control situation, something needs to be done to bring it back into control. These aren't isolated or unique stories...the system has just spiraled out of control.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
LUCKY!!!!

I think my ga tech dorm actually was a jail cell. Definitely louder. Possibly more aromatic

10'X10' cinderblock cube. Although when you aren't trusted with luxuries like drywall you behave like you can't be trusted with drywall.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
@Jm_ When I went through tech college, it was obvious the school wasn't interested in failing out the retards who didn't care about anything. They just dumbed the content down so everyone would stay in and all the seats stayed full. They wanted all those loan dollars. I was a little shocked as these fools were going to trade school on loans but were learning absolutely nothing. It hurt everyone who wanted to be there and left the knuckle heads in a really bad situation where they are paying on loans but can't keep a job in the industry they trained for because they didn't learn shit.

It seems irresponsible for the school and for the morons to perpetuate this cycle. Nobody wins in it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
@Jm_ When I went through tech college, it was obvious the school wasn't interested in failing out the retards who didn't care about anything. They just dumbed the content down so everyone would stay in and all the seats stayed full. They wanted all those loan dollars. I was a little shocked as these fools were going to trade school on loans but were learning absolutely nothing. It hurt everyone who wanted to be there and left the knuckle heads in a really bad situation where they are paying on loans but can't keep a job in the industry they trained for because they didn't learn shit.

It seems irresponsible for the school and for the morons to perpetuate this cycle. Nobody wins in it.
When financing becomes a business, the providers in turn become opportunists. Health care, home loans...take your pick.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Whatever happened to a good ole fashioned shotgun behind the counter?

oh right...the 12 ar15s sitting in the dude's truck in the parking lot

sigh...simpler times
This sign was at Baskin Robin's, I mean seriously wtf is wrong with people. These are high school kids serving ice cream...