Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada

That may be the case, but the Queen / Royal family really had little power in this, or any other case. You have to remember they have been nothing more than Figureheads for a few hundred years. The agreement was they stay out of the running of the country and they get to keep their heads. They can consult on certain items, but have no authority past royal ascent / rubber stamp. The UK is a parliamentary democracy with a Royal hood ornament and coat of paint. (They are a tourist attraction - just the palace admission brings in +50MM pounds a year)

Liz devoted herself "in service to her subjects" and deserves some credit.
However, her family is an entitled shitshow and far too insulated/protected from reality.
Andrew at the least needed a bit of time down the old bailey.

I think QE2 was the glue, and now that she is gone, the institution will start to wind down. It may take a generation or so.

Not a royalist, but a Canuckistani, who took this stuff in school.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That may be the case, but the Queen / Royal family really had little power in this, or any other case. You have to remember they have been nothing more than Figureheads for a few hundred years. The agreement was they stay out of the running of the country and they get to keep their heads. They can consult on certain items, but have no authority past royal ascent / rubber stamp. The UK is a parliamentary democracy with a Royal hood ornament and coat of paint. (They are a tourist attraction - just the palace admission brings in +50MM pounds a year)

However, her family is an entitled shitshow and far too insulated/protected from reality.

I think QE2 was the glue, and now that she is gone, the institution will start to wind down. It may take a generation or so.

I think Charles has promised to no longer have opinions now that he has the job. In part the role of the modern monarchy is to actually behave and be nice so the people can feel good abut the country while the real government can do nasty things.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I think Charles has promised to no longer have opinions now that he has the job. In part the role of the modern monarchy is to actually behave and be nice so the people can feel good abut the country while the real government can do nasty things.
Whilst a bit dystopian, that is pretty much how it has all worked out.
Truss will continue the looting, while Chuck will smile and wave.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
damn, I was hoping it would self immolate in the sum

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator