Quantcast

Random Poly Picture Thread

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I see the US has now quietly admitted it was indeed shooting down ‘benign’ balloons. And it missed one with the first shot of a missile that costs as much as a house.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I see the US has now quietly admitted it was indeed shooting down ‘benign’ balloons. And it missed one with the first shot of a missile that costs as much as a house.
Not defending the US military here, but what would/could have been the political cost if they weren’t shot down, and turned out to be something not so benign?
The administration was put in an unenviable position, do nothing, get excoriated, do something, and possibly get mocked?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Not defending the US military here, but what would/could have been the political cost if they weren’t shot down, and turned out to be something not so benign?
The administration was put in an unenviable position, do nothing, get excoriated, do something, and possibly get mocked?

There is also value in demonstrating capability and will as a deterrent. Much better than actual engagement.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

thank god for labor murdering billionaires!

The carbon credits of the 20s really...

I think about this a lot in terms of modern stupidity. Say Yosemite or Yellowstone national parks didn't exist and someone proposed building those roads now. The cOnSeRvAtIoNiSts would lose their shit, even though they fall all over themselves these days proclaiming the spirtitual value of getting donors people into cool nature.

Likewise, imagine proposing police forces now in the face of muh freedumz today.

Too many podcasts.....too many rage whores

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada

I think about this a lot in terms of modern stupidity. Say Yosemite or Yellowstone national parks didn't exist and someone proposed building those roads now. The cOnSeRvAtIoNiSts would lose their shit, even though they fall all over themselves these days proclaiming the spirtitual value of getting donors people into cool nature.

Likewise, imagine proposing police forces now in the face of muh freedumz today.

While Carnegie may have been trying to buy hisself into heaven or some such...
The end result was access to information that was unheard of by the average prole.
Still don't think this would or could happen today. Now we have swung back to burning books to keep certain ideas out of younger minds.

I guess every once in a very long while, even total douchebags get something right.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am

But, but, Joe Rogan is SmaRT…deep-ta-dee…

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
While Carnegie may have been trying to buy hisself into heaven or some such...
The end result was access to information that was unheard of by the average prole.
Still don't think this would or could happen today. Now we have swung back to burning books to keep certain ideas out of younger minds.

I guess every once in a very long while, even total douchebags get something right.
I tend to look at those attempts at soul cleansing philanthropy as a failure of gov't, not a success of some rich prick.

We should have taxed him appropriately and built some damn libraries. Truth be told, you can't pretend to be a new country that shed off the oppression of monarchy, just to recreate it under a different name, all the while allowing new monarchs to reach that level of wealth and power and then thank them for a little golden shower. The guy literally ordered the murders of his own workers. I don't forgive that just because people got access to books.

Unless you were black or native, this country saw incredible growth and prosperity under the new deal era. The only difference is we had a functioning gov't for the first time really. Reagan dismantled all of it and sent us crawling back to carnegie's era. Those motherfuckers CAUSED far more death and misery than they alleviated.

A time not unlike today....

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I tend to look at those attempts at soul cleansing philanthropy as a failure of gov't, not a success of some rich prick.

We should have taxed him appropriately and built some damn libraries. Truth be told, you can't pretend to be a new country that shed off the oppression of monarchy, just to recreate it under a different name, all the while allowing new monarchs to reach that level of wealth and power and then thank them for a little golden shower. The guy literally ordered the murders of his own workers. I don't forgive that just because people got access to books.

Unless you were black or native, this country saw incredible growth and prosperity under the new deal era. The only difference is we had a functioning gov't for the first time really. Reagan dismantled all of it and sent us crawling back to carnegie's era. Those motherfuckers CAUSED far more death and misery than they alleviated.

A time not unlike today....

You are not wrong.
Woulda Shoulda Coulda though.
The fact is the gov did not and he did.
Humans are dumb.
Now we gotta go through it all again, if we survive, of which I'm doubtful...
How many cycles...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
"slave-owning plantation owners provided food and housing to thousands"

"one of the largest drivers of poverty that prevented public services, then built libraries"

meh

I have a hard time crediting a problem solver who mildly solves the problem they themselves created. It's a bit like alex jones selling prepper shit after spending years convincing you that you need to be prepared.

maybe elon will save us

Last edited:

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I’ll say it again. Not much has changed over human history. Peasants, serfs, slaves, tax payers, basically the same thing.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I’ll say it again. Not much has changed over human history. Peasants, serfs, slaves, tax payers, basically the same thing.
Actually that shit never existed for the majority of human history, was the advent of agriculture that rescued us from independence and carefree living.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Actually that shit never existed for the majority of human history, was the advent of agriculture that rescued us from independence and carefree living.
I guess what I should have said is “human civilization”. Though I’m sure chiefs and the “alpha” males for lack of a better term made the lives of some miserable.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
You are not wrong.
Woulda Shoulda Coulda though.
The fact is the gov did not and he did.
Humans are dumb.
Now we gotta go through it all again, if we survive, of which I'm doubtful...
How many cycles...
depressive thought of the day.
As bad as the US has it with its failures and shortcomings.... imagine thats almost the best mankind can do.
Its way worse outside of G7.