Quantcast

Random Poly Picture Thread

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
pulling a mittens....

mighty white of her to fall on that sword.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
mighty white of her to fall on that sword.
The GOP put the sword there, she warned it was a problem. They can't have it both ways, it was their decision to make those cuts:

http://www.drudge.com/news/161889/gop-cut-embassy-security-funding

GOP Cut Embassy Security Funding

For fiscal 2013, the GOP-controlled House proposed spending $1.934 billion for the State Department's worldwide security protection program -- well below the $2.15  billion requested by the Obama administration. House Republicans cut the administration's request for embassy security funding by $128 million in fiscal 2011 and $331 million in fiscal 2012. (Negotiations with the Democrat-controlled Senate restored about $88 million of the administration's request.) Last year, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton warned that Republicans' proposed cuts to her department would be "detrimental to America's national security" -- a charge Republicans rejected.

Last edited:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
To be fair, *shudder*, I seem to recall Mrs. Pelosi saying something very similar about Obamacare.
ACA was posted on thomas.gov the entire year that it was being debated. Pelosi was referring to the American people being too disinterested to bother going to read it. Slight difference from Romney not even *having* a workable tax plan and doing everything he can to hide that fact from the American public...

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I did not watch the debate last night, and have only read on teh webz about Mittens comment about "binders full of women", so maybe I'm missing some context, but I'm not sure I see whats so scandalous about the comment. :confused:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I did not watch the debate last night, and have only read on teh webz about Mittens comment about "binders full of women", so maybe I'm missing some context, but I'm not sure I see whats so scandalous about the comment. :confused:
It's just how he talked about it is all.

In the debate on Tuesday night, Mitt Romney said that he made every effort to find qualified women to appoint to cabinet positions when he was governor of Massachusetts.

“Well, gosh,” he said he told his staff who had an abundance of male applicants, “Can’t we find some -- some women that are also qualified?”

“I went to a number of women’s groups and said, ‘Can you help us find folks?’” Romney added. “And they brought us whole binders full of women.”

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
come on squeeb....it's a fvcking knee slapper.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Figures I'd have to find an overseas news agency to give the full story.

The delicious irony is that the phrase was supposed to show us Romney the feminist. As governor of Massachusetts, he explained: "We took a concerted effort to go out and find women who had backgrounds that could be qualified to become members of our cabinet. I went to a number of women's groups and said: 'Can you help us find folks?' and they brought us whole binders full of women."

Instead, he managed to conjure an image confirming every feminist's worst fears about a Romney presidency; that he views women's rights in the workplace as so much business admin, to be punched and filed and popped on a shelf. Worse still, it was irrelevant to the question he'd actually been asked, about pay inequality. And, according to several fact-checkers, untrue. He didn't ask for the binders full of women. The list was compiled before he even took office. It wasn't just a gaffe: it was a Freudian slip, a filibuster and a falsehood.

It also wasn't even the daftest part of his answer. That would have to be this bizarre promise: "We're going to have to have employers in the new economy, in the economy I'm going to bring to play, that are going to be so anxious to get good workers they're going to be anxious to hire women."

So anxious, they'll hire women. Subtext: so desperate, they'll hire anyone. Even you, ladies. The implication being that in Romney's dream economy employers will grind their teeth and chew their nails until, in a lengthy silence at the tenth tense board meeting, one brave executive tentatively suggests "Guys, I hate to say it, but I think we need to hire people without penises."