Quantcast

Random Poly Picture Thread

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Wrong as per my NPR link above:

Three bits of good news about jobs were just released.

"Private-sector employment increased by 201,000 from July to August on a seasonally adjusted basis," according to the latest ADP National Employment Report.

And ADP revised up its estimate of the job growth in July — to 173,000 from the 163,000 it previously reported.

"The August increase of 201,000, following a solid gain in July, supports the notion that the underlying trend in hiring has picked back up after slowing sharply during the spring," Joel Prakken, economist and chairman of Macroeconomic Advisers, says in the ADP report.

Also this morning, the outplacement firm Challenger, Gray & Christmas reported that the number of layoffs announced by U.S. employers hit a 20-month low in August. It said that companies "announced plans to shed 32,239 workers from their payrolls in August ... the fewest number of monthly job cuts by US-based firms since December 2010, when layoffs totaled 32,004."

The firm cautioned against reading too much into the trend (layoffs have eased in recent months): "The three-month decline in the pace of downsizing may be further evidence of an improving economy or it may simply be a summer lull in jobcut activity."

Finally, the Employment and Training Administration just said that there were 365,000 first-time claims filed for jobless benefits last week, down from 377,000 the week before.

We'll hear much more about August's job growth and unemployment on Friday when the Bureau of Labor Statistics issues its data about the month. It's first swipe at July's figures put the unemployment rate at 8.3 percent and the number of jobs added to payrolls at 163,000.

While the ADP report and the BLS report have in recent months tended to generally agree on the job market trends, they don't necessarily track each other closely on the specifics. Bloomberg News says the median forecast of economist it has surveyed indicates BLS will report Friday that payrolls rose by 127,000 in August and the jobless rate stayed at 8.3 percent.

Prakken, though, says in the ADP report that the gain in jobs it detected "is strong enough to suggest that the national unemployment rate may have declined."

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
so...

thinkprogress
cnbc
abc
economywatch
nbc
huffpo
latimes
guardian.uk

are wrong?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
so...

thinkprogress
cnbc
abc
economywatch
nbc
huffpo
latimes
guardian.uk

are wrong?
I know I'm being anal right now but any modern news source has falen victim to weak sources and information manipulation in its history. Not that all at the same time can. Very unprobably though it is theoretically possible.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
The data is right but the CBS spin is wrong, the indicators are pointing to positive conditions - mitt is wrong as memed
It's pretty funny. We've been seeing weak job growth for years and it's like everyone was expecting this last report to be all roses.

Slow growth is better than no growth. After all the stock market hit a 4 yr high the other day. Sounds good to me!

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Can't wait till a prospective employer googles her name in another couple years...

See kids, unlike those naked pictures you took of yourself in the bathroom mirror with your cell phone and sent to "that one boy you're in love with", when your name shows up in a national news story, it's on the web forever.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
it was a shout-out to detroit's ex-mayor, kwame kilwhitey

keep up, chingaso

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
I didn't see this one coming.

I think Romney's lack of credibility may be hitting a critical mass. Hopefully you can only lie and obfuscate so much in a presidential campaign. It feels a bit like when the McCain campaign lost credibility over the Palin pick and denying the economy was tanking.

Edited to add this little bukakke of incoherence. :rofl:

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2012/05/24/who-is-the-smallest-government-spender-since-eisenhower-would-you-believe-its-barack-obama/

It might have something to do with the first year of the Obama presidency where the federal budget increased a whopping 17.9% —going from $2.98 trillion to $3.52 trillion. I’ll bet you think that this is the result of the Obama sponsored stimulus plan that is so frequently vilified by the conservatives…but you would be wrong.

The first year of any incoming president term is saddled—for better or for worse—with the budget set by the president whom immediately precedes the new occupant of the White House. Indeed, not only was the 2009 budget the property of George W. Bush—and passed by the 2008 Congress—it was in effect four months before Barack Obama took the oath of office.

Accordingly, the first budget that can be blamed on our current president began in 2010 with the budgets running through and including including fiscal year 2013 standing as charges on the Obama account, even if a President Willard M. Romney takes over the office on January 20, 2013.

So, how do the actual Obama annual budgets look?

Courtesy of Marketwatch-

In fiscal 2010 (the first Obama budget) spending fell 1.8% to $3.46 trillion.
In fiscal 2011, spending rose 4.3% to $3.60 trillion.
In fiscal 2012, spending is set to rise 0.7% to $3.63 trillion, according to the Congressional Budget Office’s estimate of the budget that was agreed to last August.
Finally in fiscal 2013 — the final budget of Obama’s term — spending is scheduled to fall 1.3% to $3.58 trillion. Read the CBO’s latest budget outlook.

No doubt, many will wish to give the credit to the efforts of the GOP controlled House of Representatives. That’s fine if that’s what works for you.

However, you don’t get to have it both ways. Credit whom you will, but if you are truly interested in a fair analysis of the Obama years to date—at least when it comes to spending—you’re going to have to acknowledge that under the Obama watch, even President Reagan would have to give our current president a thumbs up when it comes to his record for stretching a dollar.

Last edited:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
560523_514729691874629_106377526_n.jpg

Some of my R Winger friends got all twisted over this..."We would never disrespect Obama like that." I said "Dude...I have received pictures of him as a monkey, with a noose around his neck, all kinds of ****..."