Quantcast

Random Question: Bought a used car with Sirius Satellite Radio. Is it Free for me?

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
I bought a used car, and it has satellite radio.

I tried it and it works. Does this mean it's free for me? Is the subscription tied to the previous owner and it's just their fault they didnt' cancel it?

How long do satellite subscriptions last for?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Yeah, I bought a 2 or 3 year (cant remember) subscription for mine in advance. So depending on how long in advance its paid, you should have it for that length.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
I bought lifetime (3 actually), back when they had it. I can't believe that someone would have done that and not taken it with them. Don't be surprised if it disappears one day, you can move it without having posession of the radio, it's all done over the satellite.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
I got a 1 year subscription for Christmas. Definitely take advantage of it while you got it. It doesn't cost you or the guy who sold you car anything. That is, unless he forgets to cancel and keeps paying. If he does, he's a retard and you deserve to get it for free.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
Satellite radio must be pretty good for 3 lifetimes worth of content.

Would you have it installed in your coffin then? :think:

:D
It beats the **** out of commercial radio. One for my car, one for wife's car and one for the house. It was pretty pricey at the time, be in retrospect, I have received more than my money's worth.

3 years and no commercials.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Some cars come with lifetime subscriptions right? I paid for one year on a radio i made to be moved inbetween thee different cars. I got two free years by haveing it in a garage and or unpluged unless i was listening. but they got it eventually. I almost left it at home that day because i had a feeling. oh well

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Some cars come with lifetime subscriptions right?
Some cars come with the free lifetime subscription, but the original buyer of the car owns it. If it stays with the car, it's only because the owner chose not to take it with them.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
It is either the previous owner's subscription or if you bought the car from a dealer they may have done a free 3 month activation. Either way you are not tied to the subscription and it will eventually turn off. If the dealer has done a free trial you will get mail and phone calls from XM to subscribe.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Also, if need be, they are just like cable. Just threaten to cancel and they will make you a better deal. They literally have everything to lose, because they would rather give you a steep discount than have you cancel. They already have the infrastructure, they just turn it on for you.