Quantcast

Random question of the day

There used to be a small nuclear reactor in Pauling, New York, the Pawling Research Reactor and Lattice Test Rig.

It started out as the Pawling Research Reactor [PRR], a heavy water research reactor under Nuclear Development Associates; subsequently the Pawling Lattice Test Rig [PLATR] critical assembly was installed. There's quite a bit of information available regarding these two phases.

From the Spring of 1961 to December of 1972, when a fire and explosion in an outbuilding released 10 g of 239Pu and 240Pu to the atmosphere, the facility was reported to be producing Pu fuel for fast breeder reactors. This was under the Gulf United Nuclear Corporation, and there is virtually no information that I have been able to find regarding this period of operation. After the explosion, the facility was closed and removed. The Appalachian trail currently goes right through the site.

I'm looking for information to fill out the history of this period of operation, and choosing to ask here because monkeys.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My dad worked on nuclear reactors, I can ask if he knows anything. My hunch would be no because he didn't start in the industry until I wanna say the mid 70s.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
There used to be a small nuclear reactor in Pauling, New York, the Pawling Research Reactor and Lattice Test Rig.

It started out as the Pawling Research Reactor [PRR], a heavy water research reactor under Nuclear Development Associates; subsequently the Pawling Lattice Test Rig [PLATR] critical assembly was installed. There's quite a bit of information available regarding these two phases.

From the Spring of 1961 to December of 1972, when a fire and explosion in an outbuilding released 10 g of 239Pu and 240Pu to the atmosphere, the facility was reported to be producing Pu fuel for fast breeder reactors. This was under the Gulf United Nuclear Corporation, and there is virtually no information that I have been able to find regarding this period of operation. After the explosion, the facility was closed and removed. The Appalachian trail currently goes right through the site.

I'm looking for information to fill out the history of this period of operation, and choosing to ask here because monkeys.
There is a cool youtube series called "a brief history of", where significant nuclear (and now industrial) accidents are discussed in detail. Bet they have something on it.