Quantcast

randomness/good peeps still out there

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
so i was driving back from local market and saw a turtle trying to cross the road (55mph+traffic is typical) and by the time i turned around to go get it, someone else had already stopped to help it along its way
my faith is temporarily restored in people, well non mtn bikers anyways...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I stop to move turtles....good to hear others do too.
:stupid:

We'd get large turtles (sometimes snappers) crossing the road in NH all the time. Best way to do it: use a big stick, and let them grab ahold of it in their jaws, then pull them across. Keeps anyone from getting hurt, including the turtle.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
About a twenty pound snapper was in the parking lot of the bar last week, I tried to pick it up but it jumped and I said F-it another guy walks out grabs its tail and carries it off to the pond, Guy had bigger bawls then me.

Al C. Oholic

Monkey
Feb 11, 2010
FoCo
saw somethin similar the other day, a small flock of geese and all their fuzzy lil hatchlings were trying to cross a 55mph zone on the edge of town, and a couple of roadies promptly stopped, waited for a sufficient gap in traffic, and then ran out into the road. One blocked traffic while the other herded them across by waving his bike pump :thumb:

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...

We'd get large turtles (sometimes snappers) crossing the road in NH all the time. Best way to do it: use a big stick, and let them grab ahold of it in their jaws, then pull them across. Keeps anyone from getting hurt, including the turtle.
yeah i didnt know i was picking up snapper (there is a joke in there somewhere...)
and fortunately when it launched my hands were clear. i learned AFTER the fact about the stick trick

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I stop to move turtles....good to hear others do too.

Yup! I have even been known to stop while on my road bike to help them :)

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Similar situation when living in Tacoma. Leaving a restaurant, and noticed a couple of geese and their young'ns trying to cross road. Pulled over, got out, "guided" them to sidewalk. Adult geese gave the hissing sound, like they were going to charge. To top it off, a delivery trucker was turning onto the road, saw what I was doing, and gave me the "thumbs up" for helping them out.

Good karma, I suppose, as I now have mud daubers/sparrows making their nests under our front eves. Been doing so for the past 3-4 years. Funny when we go out and they decide they want to "dive bomb" us and attack. Guess they, like the wild horses of past, trust us.....

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Similar situation when living in Tacoma. Leaving a restaurant, and noticed a couple of geese and their young'ns trying to cross road. Pulled over, got out, "guided" them to sidewalk. Adult geese gave the hissing sound, like they were going to charge. To top it off, a delivery trucker was turning onto the road, saw what I was doing, and gave me the "thumbs up" for helping them out.

Good karma, I suppose, as I now have mud daubers/sparrows making their nests under our front eves. Been doing so for the past 3-4 years. Funny when we go out and they decide they want to "dive bomb" us and attack. Guess they, like the wild horses of past, trust us.....
LOL! We had a few families of geese stop traffic last week because they were walking their babies across the road. I stayed back (on my road bike) because I knew the adults would charge!

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
LOL! We had a few families of geese stop traffic last week because they were walking their babies across the road. I stayed back (on my road bike) because I knew the adults would charge!
Make alot of noise and charge them, they will run even when they have the gosling's.

BTW, I actually like snapping turtles. Every year they take out a few geese, which is a bonus. They shouldn't be this far south at this time of year.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
saw somethin similar the other day, a small flock of geese and all their fuzzy lil hatchlings were trying to cross a 55mph zone on the edge of town, and a couple of roadies promptly stopped, waited for a sufficient gap in traffic, and then ran out into the road. One blocked traffic while the other herded them across by waving his bike pump :thumb:
We have a similar situation every year in a 40mph zone here. Every time I've seen them try to cross the road, people either stop or get out and help "usher" them across. Fun to see.