Quantcast

randomness/scumbags still roam the earth

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
My Seven was stolen by a ****ing scumbag. I just finished another year of coaching high school mountain biking and instead of seeing the reward of doing good, my bike gets stolen.

More details later.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
bike thieves are the scum of the earth! i'm really deeply sorry for you!

a seven, what a pity... :(

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
worse than kiddie fvckers?

i don't think so.
let's stay in perspective, after all the OP was even bike related on a bike related site!

there are worse things than bike thieves, no need to go as far as "kiddie fvckers".

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
My Seven was stolen by a ****ing scumbag. I just finished another year of coaching high school mountain biking and instead of seeing the reward of doing good, my bike gets stolen.

More details later.
If you have homeowners or renters insurance, you may file a claim, assuming you don't have a high deductible. Just ask your agent about any previous claims you have filed. N.C. does not charge rates based on claims, so check w/ your agent for your state rate info.

Also, make sure you file a police report and if they have an option to request "recompensation", do so. If they catch them, they will get your money back through garnished wages, etc.

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
That's sucks bro. I honestly know how you feel. It's not as highspeed as your Seven, but my beloved Motiv Rockridge, that I bought back in 1991, was stolen 2 month's ago. Converted it to a single speed and had been using it as my commuter bike for the past 8 years.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
the fact that you still draw breath into your lungs is a strike against humanity.

that sucks sanjuro.
Hey man, if you walk into traffic and get hit by a car, you're dumber than me.

If you leave you're bike out locked to something that's useless and you're **** gets jacked, again you're still dumber than me. Especially with as much shop experience as sanjuro has, and having grown up in NYC and licing in SF.

I still feel bad don't get me wrong. That seven was nice as **** and getting a bike jacked sucks. But my pity only goes so far

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Hey man, if you walk into traffic and get hit by a car, you're dumber than me.

If you leave you're bike out locked to something that's useless and you're **** gets jacked, again you're still dumber than me. Especially with as much shop experience as sanjuro has, and having grown up in NYC and licing in SF.

I still feel bad don't get me wrong. That seven was nice as **** and getting a bike jacked sucks. But my pity only goes so far
You desreve a heart warming chest punch. Sanjuro have at him.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The details: I went for a 4 hour ride, really exhausted.

But instead of going home right afterwards, I had to see a friend's band play at a club in the Tenderloin, one of the roughest neighborhoods in SF.

I locked my bike very securely, using a mini U-Lock, and a redundant cable lock thru the frame, wheels, and saddle; and my bike was right in front of the doorman.

90 minutes later, I come back outside, bike is still there.

But I was totally fried at this point, so I figure I get a slice down the street.

Lock my bike up again, but just the cable.

Inside for 3 minutes, my view was blocked so I wasn't paying attention, cable is snapped, bike is gone forever.

My biggest mistake was being extremely tired. I have locked my bike just using the cable, and locked my bike in the bad neighborhoods.

But I wasn't alert at all. I normally would be checking on it every 30 seconds, and I think I might have been scoped out before I stepped in the pizzeria. I would have noticed that if I wasn't exhausted.

I can deal with losing this bike, but what bothers me the most is that I should know better than anyone else how to protect my bike. I've been riding for decades, lived in the worst neighborhoods, and I am paranoid. But I had a moment of weakness and it was exploited.

The other thing is that a ****ing crackhead is riding on a bike I spent years putting together and maintaining.

KILL ALL BIKE THIEVES!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Condolences. I had a bike jacked out of my car earlier this year. It sucks to know you did something stupid (why not use the u-lock you were carrying?) but bikes are replaceable, even expensive custom bikes.

Anyway I hope at least it was a good slice. :D

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Condolences. I had a bike jacked out of my car earlier this year. It sucks to know you did something stupid (why not use the u-lock you were carrying?) but bikes are replaceable, even expensive custom bikes.

Anyway I hope at least it was a good slice. :D
When I analyzed it further, my u-lock, an OnGuard mini, was breaking.

The plastic sheathe had cracked apart, so it was harder to line up the pieces to insert the shackle into the crossbar. I am definitely not impressed with how OnGuard makes their locks.

So instead of taking 2 minutes to line up my lock pieces, I used my cable because it is quicker. Stupid me.

And I just ordered a Krypto Evo Mini.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
use this to see if it turns up on craigslist/ebaykijiji.

they have seven listed in the make of bikes list.