Quantcast

Rankin's new vids

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Just what we need, more fixie video's, (where's the lame smilie?)
Great video and editing from Alex as usual just not visually stimulating in any way other than when that one guy kept biting it in the beginning down that wet hill.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Cool vid. I especially liked the interview at the end. Kid's got the best view on fixies I've heard. Good rider too.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
I have no problems admitting that.
But my grandma was a really good knitter when she was alive and I really dont wanna see videos of that either.

Not bashing any kind of riding but I doubt theres people who actually wanna see this kind of stuff, and if there are they should visit a proper downhill race .

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
He reasons at the end that its cool because he commutes to spots and then gets to sesh them. What in the hell does that require your rear hub to be fixed for? Jesus.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
He reasons at the end that its cool because he commutes to spots and then gets to sesh them. What in the hell does that require your rear hub to be fixed for? Jesus.
It doesn't. My point was that he doesn't talk about "zen" or "flow," he just admits he likes riding fixed because it's an overgrown BMX.

Hating fixies is cooler than fixies nowadays. :p

JohnnyC

Monkey
Feb 10, 2006
Rotorua, New Zealand
Have you ever ridden a fixie? It feels awesome being directly connected with the back wheel, its like the same reason why alot of people love riding hardtails but taken that extra step further....

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
Have you ever ridden a fixie? It feels awesome being directly connected with the back wheel, its like the same reason why alot of people love riding hardtails but taken that extra step further....
Yes. For commuting, whatever... I see how people can like the simplicity. For freestyle though, I just don't get it. Oh well, to each their own:

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
"mad respek" for Rankin because I've loved everything he has done, but this is just lame-o to the 10th degree. :bonk:

seriously, all ball-jocking aside (because this thread is full of it), what is the f-ing point? they are commuter bikes, fine. if you want to zip around town without real brakes and tight jeans, be my guest. just mind the cars.
jumping your fixie off of 3 foot walls and doing fake cutties just doesn't do it for me. and on top of THAT you've got your world-class videographer friend filming all of it? come on.

didn't mean to make this sound like such a ranting hate post, but I just don't see the point here. i like all kinds of bicycle riding equally, but there is a time and place.

it's also amazing how much of a sh!tty subject can be made into a halfway decent video clip just with excellent editing. music is crap though.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
great editing. crap topic.
why do all fixie riders where tight jeans? just like emo bmx kids
what about non-emo bmx'ers who wear normal (aka not night) fitting jeans? :biggrin:

edit: and those of us who ride fixed gear bikes because they are good for training?

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
"mad respek" for Rankin because I've loved everything he has done, but this is just lame-o to the 10th degree. :bonk:

seriously, all ball-jocking aside (because this thread is full of it), what is the f-ing point? they are commuter bikes, fine. if you want to zip around town without real brakes and tight jeans, be my guest. just mind the cars.
jumping your fixie off of 3 foot walls and doing fake cutties just doesn't do it for me. and on top of THAT you've got your world-class videographer friend filming all of it? come on.

didn't mean to make this sound like such a ranting hate post, but I just don't see the point here. i like all kinds of bicycle riding equally, but there is a time and place.

it's also amazing how much of a sh!tty subject can be made into a halfway decent video clip just with excellent editing. music is crap though.
you could own your own bike company and make your own films if your opinion was worth what you think it is. :blah:

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
I saw this a few days ago but as it turns out that one thing that is more arduous than sitting through a whole fixie video is trudging through the fields of undercooked hate that follows the video.

“Not enough gets said about the importance of abandoning crap.”

If you're going to hate like an amateur then you might as well give up.

If you cant see that these goof asses are riding their bike for the fun and passion of it then you didn't watch the same video that I did. While I may find fixed gear freestyle to be weak and doofy looking, at least these guys are putting in the time riding their bikes and getting better at it while having some fun in their own way (sounds an awful lot like TRIALS riding, something I may be familiar with). They didn't buy these bikes last week to fit in with their bros at the coffee shop. They aren't riding front brakes and doing trackstand-wheelie-barspins.

I can't imagine that Alex got the same rush out of shooting with these dudes as some of the world's best downhill racers or Europe's moto-stars. But he did get to spend the day with some bike riders that love what they are doing and if it helped him pay the bills then I'd suggest that the naysayers dig deep into their shallow hearts and find some forgiveness for the starving artist.

Go hate on something worthy of hating.

Amateur hour around here...

Last edited:

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
I saw this a few days ago but as it turns out that one thing that is more arduous than sitting through a whole fixie video is trudging through the fields of undercooked hate that follows the video.

“Not enough gets said about the importance of abandoning crap.”

If you're going to hate like an amateur then you might as well give up.

If you cant see that these goof asses are riding their bike for the fun and passion of it then you didn't watch the same video that I did. While I may find fixed gear freestyle to be weak and doofy looking, at least these guys are putting in the time riding their bikes and getting better at it while having some fun in their own way (sounds an awful lot like TRIALS riding, something I may be familiar with). They didn't buy these bikes last week to fit in with their bros at the coffee shop. They aren't riding front brakes and doing trackstand-wheelie-barspins.

I can't imagine that Alex got the same rush out of shooting with these dudes as some of the world's best downhill racers or Europe's moto-stars. But he did get to spend the day with some bike riders that love what they are doing and if it helped him pay the bills then I'd suggest that the naysayers dig deep into their shallow hearts and find some forgiveness for the starving artist.

Go hate on something worthy of hating.

Amateur hour around here...
Very noble and all, but you gotta admit its fukkin boring ey?

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I talked with Alex this morning and he was all about just making something fun with bikes and he can express some more creativity then just dudes riding down mountains as fast as possible.

Whiteraven, if people don't like it then they don't like it and have an open forum to express their likes and dislikes. You just expressed your hate for the hate being thrown around on this thread so in a roundabout way, you are doing the same exact thing.
Hate the haters!

Last edited: