Quantcast

rant : I hate tech support

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I have a guy in my shop who doesn't know how to run his digital presses and because I'm such a tool -- I let my frustration show -- he calls Xerox tech support before bothering me. Ok, good.

However, it's so frustrating when he tells me that I need to send the project to him in a different way cuz the machine can't do the job. "I called tech support and they said 'the proprietary software doesn't have the code to support what you're trying to do.'"

Is that lingo for "sorry, I'm on my donut break"?

I go into that dept, look at the software for all of 30 seconds and find the solution. Then wait three fvcking minutes for the machine to "warm up" eventho it had just run a job. I show my co-worker the print out proving it can be done.

WTF is the point of tech support if someone (me) who never uses the equipment can figure it out in 30 seconds?

Xerox can suck my left nut.

And you can tell them that Echo.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
I have a guy in my shop who doesn't know how to run his digital presses and because I'm such a tool -- I let my frustration show -- he calls Xerox tech support before bothering me. Ok, good.

However, it's so frustrating when he tells me that I need to send the project to him in a different way cuz the machine can't do the job. "I called tech support and they said 'the proprietary software doesn't have the code to support what you're trying to do.'"

Is that lingo for "sorry, I'm on my donut break"?

I go into that dept, look at the software for all of 30 seconds and find the solution. Then wait three fvcking minutes for the machine to "warm up" eventho it had just run a job. I show my co-worker the print out proving it can be done.

WTF is the point of tech support if someone (me) who never uses the equipment can figure it out in 30 seconds?

Xerox can suck my left nut.

And you can tell them that Echo.
I loved it when we first got our first digital press and server station...(bout 6 years ago)...Here's one of my favorites:

Graphics guy: What the hell is this crap?!?! That's not how it looks on my monitor!!!! This thing is crap!! Get a new one!
Me: CMYK or RGB?
GG: Huh?
Me: Your photoshop setting...cmyk or rgb?
GG: I dunno...whatever the hell the default is...
Me: Find out what it is. Then let me know.
GG: (storms off...calls IT...bitches them out...finally finds it)
GG: CMYK
Me: (4 clicks of mouse...)
GG: Well....that looks better...

This continued for about 3 months...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
This continued for about 3 months...
well that's annoying!

My digital press operator doesn't understand PMS or the fact that his machine has look-up tables and that the color should come close enough to matching that most people wouldn't know.

I keep telling him, he doesn't get it :rant:

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
well that's annoying!

My digital press operator doesn't understand PMS or the fact that his machine has look-up tables and that the color should come close enough to matching that most people wouldn't know.

I keep telling him, he doesn't get it :rant:
oh dear....

stinkyboy said:
Your company hired a hack, a fresh student or both. I blame who hired him.
Yep...wasn't all there...he lasted all of 6 months. The final straw was when he went nuclear over the fact that Lotus Notes crashed and he lost "a very important e-mail to HR"....Ended up taking out a keyboard, a monitor (met it's end with the keyboard), and a cubicle partition. Then he stormed off cursing out people he "always hated, but was too nice to tell them."

It was one of the most classic moments evar! Never did come back for his stuff...

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
The final straw was when he went nuclear over the fact that Lotus Notes crashed and he lost "a very important e-mail to HR"....Ended up taking out a keyboard, a monitor (met it's end with the keyboard), and a cubicle partition. Then he stormed off cursing out people he "always hated, but was too nice to tell them."
I am one or two moments away from this at all times here. I can't fvcking stand this place.

My problem is the opposite of that guy though. I am the only one who knows fvcking anything about computers here. I have to answer the same basic fvcking questions every day.

"How do I attach an email again?"

Fvckwits. :plthumbsdown:

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
I am one or two moments away from this at all times here. I can't fvcking stand this place.

My problem is the opposite of that guy though. I am the only one who knows fvcking anything about computers here. I have to answer the same basic fvcking questions every day.

"How do I attach an email again?"

Fvckwits. :plthumbsdown:

Heh...

"File-Attach-find the file...hit create..."

"But I don't want to create a file..."

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I worked in tech support for a little while and I have noticed that anyone who is capable of providing good support typically moves on to a better job quickly. We have a few exceptions here. One guy is the best ever but doesn't want any job with more responsibility. The rest of our guys are smart but are assholes and they can't work any jobs that require long term contact with people.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I worked in tech support for a little while and I have noticed that anyone who is capable of providing good support typically moves on to a better job quickly.
Yep. Helpdesk is a jumping off point - the good employees are gone within a couple years, sometimes much less. The excellent technical employees get promoted into better technical positions (often system admin slots), and the ones with good people skills become disgusted with the type of employee who calls the helpdesk all the time and move elsewhere.

I provide most of the support for the office right now and have most of them trained to the point where I don't answer questions about email attachments every day. I go stand by their desk and make them write down the steps to basic activities.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
to continue venting...

my digital press operator printed the wrong file, again.

I taped a note on his computer...

"Always view by date.
Always use most recent file."

He said, "You really don't have to put that on there."
I replied, "Apparently, I really do."

I'd get him fired except that I'd have to do his job too cuz my cheap ass boss won't hire qualified people and now that we're in a slump, he'd have me do that crap.