Quantcast

Rant - Poor Raceface Cust Serv.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
1st - the Orig Topic was in pursuit of a small part!

2nd - Im not talking about service, I will service my own stuff. As I alluded to above, and clarify now: the overwhelming majority of shop mechanics are clueless hacks! Even the good ones only get to sit on my rides and coo about the tightness!

3rd - It was a whole fork that BTI and QBP (and SBS, and so on..) did not have in stock, and couldnt get despite the continued mantra from SRAM that "They're retail available, the suppliers just must not be stocking them." -- ignoring the conveyance of the comments from the suppliers that they would stock them if someone would provide! YES - they did initially try to brush me off and send me via LBS and Suppliers; honey laced persistence can defeat anything.

In the past (long ago) I got replacement ti bolt kit for a 95 Judy, cart replacements for 95 and 97 Judy's -- not much since then until now as I havent had any RS stuff. Avid swapped a sloppy Juicy 9 for me in 07.

Another clarification: If you accept this/dont demand service - the status quo is set - and thats the way it is. Dont! Demand service (politely and reasonably!) and make them raise the bar!
Pk, that makes alot more sense, RS in the past did used to work direct, then they jumoed on the bandwagon of lets just go through the suppliers....the Avid side has been pretty good about warranty on stuff like frozen calipers, worn pads Etc...So is hayes...But trying to order stuff directly usually just doesnt work. Hey its cool that you work on your own bike, That doesnt bother me, not in the slightest.

Back to the original post...I know it was the pursuit of a small part..... and back to my original point about the entire situation..... They most likely wanted him to go to his Local shop because they probably had it in stock. Which would be the fastest way for him to get it.

Recently, this is what I have seen with the industry..... More and More shops are sending there guys to school to do things right, More and more Manf. will not deal with the public directly other than the rarity, they just want to deal with more volume, and not have to deal with teh small parts aspect of business, Suppliers are starting to be ass's like that as well, more and more shops are realizing its not just a bike shop, its running a business, if you dont do it right, people arent coming in.

If anyone here is from socal, come see My shop, I dont care if you buy anything, just come by. See what we keep in stock, and see how your treated as you come in the door. Come see that our guys have all been to Barnetts, come see we have near every specialty tool......This isnt because we are a great shop, we are but thats besides the point, its because we run it properly. We dont have alot of big bikes on teh flor...just not enough of a demand, but most will be suprised at what we carry in stock for the big bikes.

Reason I keep going back on this stuff, the OP was complaining that RF wouldnt help him, they wanted him to go to the LBS, I just get tired of people that complain.... The big company has ****ty CS, they wont help me..... not realizing the fact the dont help anyone, they go with company policy which is to send them to the local shop. They go with the business plan that makes them the most money.

Tech Service.... yo ucan usually get alot of help
Sales.... Guys, its time to realize you probably arent going to get anywhere by calling them.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
A bit distracted, but yes, even I of silver-tongued-part-finesse will start at the LBS (thats if my substantial collection of random bolts, washers, bushing, random things Im not sure what they are -- is devoid of the parts I need.)

I 'fixed' a lost end bolt for that 05 DHR with a Crank bolt from my old tapered XTR's - t\hat was fun.

I think generally, you are most certainly right. And I dont mean to poop on bike shops or all mechs; there are definitely some good ones out there, better than me for sure - I dont have answers, they give em to me (and i still do the work!! lol) Big company CS does get undeserved criticism. I can say, I think im more forgiving than most -- all the manitou CS talk, I always had quick, effective CS from the. And SC with the delays and ignored stuff -- heck I send random rants to them about things like '29er bandwagon' and get a response in 24. Maybe Im amusing? dunno!

Very few people have the tools or experience to really keep their stuff tight; Ive been an OCD wrench (have been a shop mechanic on and off from 10yo - 25yo) and have some decent tools. I still have to reach out on the web or to my 'chosen' mechanic when Im stumped!!

So - IF the OP didnt go to the shop 1st, then WTH! I tend to go straight in to the Mfr/Supplier as 'my' shop is very good to me on pricing, but since Im a bike-whore-shop-lingerer, I can get overlooked and wind up waiting and reminding endlessly, so I avoid it.

My last RF interaction was 2006 so its possible they got more stringent; I always manage to work w/e out in the end.

Heres a tip; tell them you live somewhere remote and dont have reasonable access to a shop (closest one is 7 hrs through the canyon pass, and theres an avalanche alert....)

Now that Ive posted this on the web -- all the CS will be on alert!

Last edited: