Quantcast

rapid modeling of firearms

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I really think the threshold is significantly lower if you can just hit "enter"...
You do realize it's a little more complicated than that, right?

teh article said:
The Liberator is comprised of 16 interchangeable pieces, with a nail for a firing pin. According to the group, the barrel can be changed out to fire different kinds of ammo.
*16* different pieces, plus a nail for the firing pin. To make a single-shot zip gun that could have been made with a length of pipe, an end cap, a spring and a nail....

We're SO far away from "hit enter, have fully-automatic gun" that it's not even funny.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Hehe I realise that, and I know CNC mills are anything but simple to program and operate.
I just think 3d printers will be cheaper and easier to operate and therefore more accessable for producing fire arms. Even if they are disposable.
Im not an expert on this subject by any means, Im just judging from what Ive seen in other technological progress.

Time will tell I guess.
Again, maybe it's due to the area that I live in with all the manufacturing. But I know quite a few self taught cnc guys, and even more professionals.

Some of the things people are building in their own garages in any sort of hobby (let's call it that) be it guns, bikes, cars, boats, model trains, photography, etc. people go extreme with this stuff, it's fairly easy to learn and get information now adays, so learning how to build something and finding a way to get teh tools needed isn't all that hard anymore.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I think the government should do something about all those cnc machines listed on craigslist. Cause you can make a machine gun a whole lot ****ing easier machining carbon steel than you can with little squirts of plastic.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
a bit of backstory - most, if not all, manufacturers of 3d printers are against this form of usage. the guy in the link i posted actually had numerous companies refuse to sell them the equipment (3d printers) once he told them the intended use. the company that did finally sell them one did so under the condition that they remain anonymous.
kinda like the lady who owned the flower shop who refused to sell a wedding arrangement to a gay couple "on principle"?
A few crazy people are already doing it, and everyone else just shrugs and moves on.
i wouldn't necessarily write off clever tinkerers as 'crazy' any more than those enclaves of earthen communities outside of taos who build their homes from garbage. but once their recipes get published, there surely will be a wave of bored & disaffected young men who will turn to this. ok, so maybe you're onto something...
You do realize that a 3d printer isn't the same as a CNC mill right?
give it a few revs; the gap will close in no time

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
kinda like the lady who owned the flower shop who refused to sell a wedding arrangement to a gay couple "on principle"?
i wouldn't necessarily write off clever tinkerers as 'crazy' any more than those enclaves of earthen communities outside of taos who build their homes from garbage. but once their recipes get published, there surely will be a wave of bored & disaffected young men who will turn to this. ok, so maybe you're onto something...
give it a few revs; the gap will close in no time
Considering it's illegal, most "tinkerers" do something else. From my brief foray into "what will get your IP on to a government watch list" territory, the same ones sharing info on how to build your own gun (traditional method with a pipe, drill and angle grinder) are the same ones who are paranoid that the government is going to first register, then take, all firearms and that this will be the only way to resist and impose democracy on the majority of Americans who don't share the same views as them...

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Again, maybe it's due to the area that I live in with all the manufacturing. But I know quite a few self taught cnc guys, and even more professionals.

Some of the things people are building in their own garages in any sort of hobby (let's call it that) be it guns, bikes, cars, boats, model trains, photography, etc. people go extreme with this stuff, it's fairly easy to learn and get information now adays, so learning how to build something and finding a way to get teh tools needed isn't all that hard anymore.
Several mechanics from United's SFO machine shop are serving time for building and shipping AR-15 lowers during shop downtime.

Last edited:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
they're not intended to serve the same function. never have been, never will. 3d printing is also referred to as "rapid prototyping". emphasis on the second word.
They also usually have a 50% chance of actually making it through to whatever tradeshow they were created for.

"So this is the new rear derailleur we're coming out with"
"Really? That's so cool! Does it...."
*snap*
"No. It doesn't move or actually function. It's a prototype, or was rather..."

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
Im an not sure what all the hoopla is about.

I have spent many years using SLS and FDM parts. I have designed boardsports products, made many SLS parts and tested the **** out of them. 50+ hours on snow, impact tests at -40°, LCF, ect. The material is actually pretty great, there are some inherent problems with it, as there are obstacles to overcome in any manufacturing method.

The products are not really for protos anymore. There are select few individuals that can run these machines and crank out some amazing results. Boeing currently uses parts from SLS for production dreamliners.

I could make a gun from SLS sure. I can program a mill and cut out a gun from a billet of ABS too. I could make a mold and inject millions of plastic guns. I really fail to see the hoopla over it being from a 3dprinter. Is it just because its a "new" technology? It must be.

So spend, 100k to make a gun or go down the the gun store and spend 250$, or hell some corner in chi with a 100$ bill ya all.

its not at all practical yet, spend your time worry about something else that ruffles your panties.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So spend, 100k to make a gun or go down the the gun store and spend 250$, or hell some corner in chi with a 100$ bill ya all.

its not at all practical yet, spend your time worry about something else that ruffles your panties.
Did you not see the Staples article I posted?

Staples, which announced in November that it planned to bring the devices to its European stores, will be selling the Cube 3D Printer from 3D Systems for $1,299.
For me it's more of an issue that with a very nice 3D printer and the internetz, I can haz my own AR15. Like there aren't enough jackasses out there with good ones, now we need rednecks with plastic ones?

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
Did you not see the Staples article I posted?

For me it's more of an issue that with a very nice 3D printer and the internetz, I can haz my own AR15. Like there aren't enough jackasses out there with good ones, now we need rednecks with plastic ones?

the 1300 printer will not be able to handle it. you "might" get one round out of it and blow your face off too. I can make a 1300$ gun from a billet of ABS that will at least get 2 rounds off.

The backpressure and the heat from the bullet will make the ****ty 3dprinter useless. You need the advanced materials and machine to really make anything worth a ****. Then i really only think you would get 10ish rounds off before you start to melt the plastic and then you will blow your own face off.

i would be way more scared with the jackasses that have real ones. there all over larch mountian in camas. Shooting up the ****ing road to where we like to ride bikes.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
i guess i could see printing a 9000000 round banana clip for an ar that would be scary, but again i could make the same damn thing on a CNC.
i tihnk people are just scared of the unknown. I think there is a bigger gun control battle than omg 3d printers.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Boeing currently uses parts from SLS for production dreamliners.
Are they structural parts? Or something decorative for the cabin interior?? I doubt they are structural.

The only "OMG" i can see with these guns is some sort of scenario where a gun is smuggled into somewhere, where only one shot is needed........what was that movie with Clint Eastwood where he was a Secret Service agent??? Something like that..........

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
the 1300 printer will not be able to handle it. you "might" get one round out of it and blow your face off too.

i would be way more scared with the jackasses that have real ones.
Hold the fvck on, perhaps we're onto something here. Have the gubmint provide free 3D printers and AR-15 "instructions" to NRA mouth breathers...profit.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
Are they structural parts? Or something decorative for the cabin interior?? I doubt they are structural.
The only "OMG" i can see with these guns is some sort of scenario where a gun is smuggled into somewhere, where only one shot is needed........what was that movie with Clint Eastwood where he was a Secret Service agent??? Something like that..........
not sure exactly but its not decorative. Takes too much time to make SLS smooth and look nice. My educated guess would be it is a part that you cannot machine or inject in one part. Like a curved hole or internal rib on a shell.

yes, but i am saying you could have done this 20 years ago with a cnc and a block of plastic. What makes the 3dprinter so different? Hell you could do this with a drillbit and a nail right now if you wanted.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
yes, but i am saying you could have done this 20 years ago with a cnc and a block of plastic. What makes the 3dprinter so different? Hell you could do this with a drillbit and a nail right now if you wanted.
You COULD do it with a cnc, but it requires a lot more effort and a lot more experience. Also a good CNC setup will cost as much if not more than the 3D printer.

The OMG is the idea that any jackass can now do it with minimal effort (buy printer, download plans, profit).

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
People will at some point in the future have the ability to manufacture their own guns of reasonable multi-shot capability. This is fact. The only question is how far away is that future. It will be illegal, and the government will do their best to enforce that, but it will still happen.

People already have the ability to manufacture their own dangerous pharmaceuticals. Also illegal. Some do, and the govt does their best to stop it.

I wonder how the NRA types feel about the freedom-lovin' citizens cooking meth?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
People will at some point in the future have the ability to manufacture their own guns of reasonable multi-shot capability. This is fact. The only question is how far away is that future. It will be illegal, and the government will do their best to enforce that, but it will still happen.
it is not illegal to produce your own firearm as long as it is not sold or transferred

edit: federally speaking

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
dont worry, this guy has your best interest!

A Democratic state legislator has announced a push to ban technology that could let people make guns with a "3-D printer" in the wake of media reports of the successful test fire of such a weapon.....

Sen. Leland Yee, D-San Francisco, announced Tuesday that he will introduce legislation to ban the process here, saying California "must be proactive in seeking solutions to this new threat rather than wait for the inevitable tragedies this will make possible."

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalertlatest/2013/05/california-senator-wants-to-ban-guns-made-with-3d-printers.html#mi_rss=Latest News?utm_source=feedly#storylink=cpy
http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalertlatest/2013/05/california-senator-wants-to-ban-guns-made-with-3d-printers.html#mi_rss=Latest News?utm_source=feedly

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Other than making a lower quality product what is the difference between rapid prototype machines and someone with a lathe and mill at home who can make high quality home-made firearms?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
so apparently the DoD's bigger concern for pulling the files is whether or not the files being downloaded overseas runs afoul of export laws, which are apparently pretty "strict"