Quantcast

rapid modeling of firearms

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Other than making a lower quality product what is the difference between rapid prototype machines and someone with a lathe and mill at home who can make high quality home-made firearms?
The push of a button vs having skills and abilities to use tools? Any jackass with a file and a printer can make a crappy gun. Not any jackass with a mill and lathe can. Now if you had a CNC setup and a file...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I dunno.....we have one of the cheapest machines on the market (Objet 30) and it was still $40k. A solidworoks license is another few thousand......isn't it easier just to get a real gun?
I could be mistaken but I was told that with a nice 3D printer and a few hard parts, you can actually MAKE a copy of said 3D printer for about $400 in materials.

jrock&co

Chimp
Feb 5, 2013
Interesting hearing cody Wilson's take on future litigation.

One of his arguments is that while usa acknowledges that certain rights are unalienable, God given, it (usa) has decided that persons in other countries dont have these same rights.
That is, the right to information, data, by which is created, owned, and distributed by a private person.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

One of his arguments is that while usa acknowledges that certain rights are unalienable, God given, it (usa) has decided that persons in other countries dont have these same rights.
That is, the right to information, data, by which is created, owned, and distributed by a private person.
see "jurisdiction"

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

as i said earlier. ITAR

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
But the military, D'Aveni said, is likely to be among the first major users of 3-D printers, because of the urgency of warfare.

"Imagine a soldier on a firebase in the mountains of Afghanistan. A squad is attacked by insurgents. The ammunition starts to run out. Is it worth waiting hours and risking the lives of helicopter pilots to drop it near you, or is it worth a more expensive system that can manufacture weapons and ammunition on the spot?" he said.

In the past two years, the U.S. Defense Department has spent more than $2 million on 3-D printers, supplies and upkeep, according to federal contract records. Their uses range from medical research to weapons development. In addition, the Obama administration has launched a $30 million pilot program that includes researching how to use 3-D printing to build weapons parts.