Quantcast

Rat Pac-Pics from the top

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
If you havent been lately the trail has changed quite a bit. It definitely has a different flow and much of the trail is new. From top to bottom the trails is 3 miles long and 1350 foot drop. The bike up assuming you arent doing a shuttle is also about 3 miles.

This first piece has been completely rebuilt. This was originally built by the kids from the high school.

Ok heres a couple of pictures of the new Mummy Cat. Its completely new the old one was taken out.

After you get through with the Mummy Cat its on to the Log Jump. You better have some speed built up for this one.

Heres Train Wreck. Not sure how long this skinny is but it might be 150 feet.

Heres a nice little stunt.

Heres an RIP sign to honor those who have fallen on this section of trail. This part of the trail seems pretty straight forward with a dip straight down. However at the bottom of the dip there is a small berm that can cause some trouble. Last year a BBTC rider launched himself and broke his arm in a crash.

Finally the big log drop. The picture really doesnt do just to the size of log that was used for this. You ride up and then their is a drop at the end. Its unfinished with nothing to drop onto except flat ground. Perfect for a couple of frame breakers.

If you are wondering why the old section of trail wasnt used at the bottom its because private property owners wanted the trail move and may or may not log in the future. Logging took out lots of the old trail and this rebuilt trail should last a while. Thank Mike and the rest of the Rat Pac crew for the trail.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Oddly enough, I like the ghetto 2x2 out of place in the woods look here. Let's build it solid but make it look super sketch.

Next weekend, for sure.

Good to see you today.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
Trail access is the same as before, yeah? Same with parking? We were thinking of making a trek out there before the weather got too hot for the pedal/push up.

Thanks for the pics and report!

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Yep. To the top, look left, between the trees.

Forgot to add that there used to be a tombstone at that spot way back and I know of at least 4 people that have broken something there and have also seen some pretty impressive loooong nose wheelies as well.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Still there. Right after the new short road section. Still one of my favorite, "follow me" spots. Love it. Flew right through there in full on lycra xc geek style several years ago while a bunch of armored up wanna be's were just staring at it. Love it. Stay left to right and just don't hesitate and go.

Feb 2, 2008
Anyone thats interested in riding rat pac on any sunday let me know and I'll meet ya there. I ride rat pac at least once a week. Not a lot of people to ride with here in Ellensburg
Reid

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Anyone thats interested in riding rat pac on any sunday let me know and I'll meet ya there. I ride rat pac at least once a week. Not a lot of people to ride with here in Ellensburg
Reid
Ried,

My old college roommate still lives in E-burg and works for the Univiersity. He and I used to bike all over Kittitas valley. I know he hasn't gone much as much of his riding buiddies are gone. I can try and get him in touch with you if you like. I am pretty sure he has a MTB and Road bike currently. He used to DH back in the day...man that was a long time ago. :busted:

Maybe this will get him out more...he is married with kids. :huh:<--lol

Rhino
CWU, BS in Accounting
left there in 1997 when the Fred and the Recycle were still at its old location. :)

Feb 2, 2008
its not jeff is it? I used to know a couple guys that all had DH bikes when i was in High school. Had a green bike at the time don't ahve a clue what it was though. He was a Mac tech at the time. drove a mini van with stickers all over and lived in juniper on chestnut st.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
its not jeff is it? I used to know a couple guys that all had DH bikes when i was in High school. Had a green bike at the time don't ahve a clue what it was though. He was a Mac tech at the time. drove a mini van with stickers all over and lived in juniper on chestnut st.
Hey, I bought a BigHit frame from Jeff way back when - - real nice guy! That was my first 'real' downhill bike.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Small world...

:busted:

I jumped that van on I-5 in Portland coming back from racing the Mammoth Kamakazie in 2000....... man that was a long time ago. lol Well some left side off ramp and it was late at night....jerked the wheel at the last minute but we had already started ascending from the freeway deck. headlights were shining to high and left a black hole just past the take off point. The van flew straight and true. Rear side window fell off its hinges months later, but I am sure that is unrelated...

Last edited:

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Hey, I bought a BigHit frame from Jeff way back when - - real nice guy! That was my first 'real' downhill bike.
haha...

He had a big hit? Or the neon green FSR conversion from back in the day???? Red Szember swing arm and after market link/shock....

I don't remember him having a bighit....but that doesn't mean he didn't. :D

I called his XC bike "VISA" in college..... it was blinged out.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
haha...

He had a big hit? Or the neon green FSR conversion from back in the day???? Red Szember swing arm and after market link/shock....

I don't remember him having a bighit....but that doesn't mean he didn't. :D

I called his XC bike "VISA" in college..... it was blinged out.
He got it as a warranty-replacement, probably from the very FSR you mention. It took Specialized so long to fulfill that he bought that KHS Dominatrax frame right at the start of the season instead. So when the BH frame finally showed up it was surplus to him and he put it up on ebay. I ended up with a pristine, NIB BigHit frame to build up.

Feb 25, 2005
seattle, wa
I wnt to take some guys up there that are new to the state but I haven't ridden there myself. Is the trail easy to find once you get to the top of the climb? I've also heard that most of the stunts are "go around-able" is that true (one of the guys is a "lycra'd out XC dude")?

Feb 2, 2008
everything is avoidable. the trail isn't too technical even for the newest of riders if they dont hit the stunts. I took a 12 yr old and my neighbor up yesterday and 12 yr old doesnt hardly ride bikes at all and my neighbor is on a 4 yr old full rigid wal mart special and everyone had a blast. If ya want let me know when you head up there and would meet up with you for the ride.
Reid

dudeman

Chimp
Mar 28, 2008
Oly
So I take most people ride XC friendly bikes since you pedal up? I am not sure I would want hit that drop to flat on a XC bike or even a DH rig for that matter. The first guy mentioned a shuttle I would like to try that one day. When are the gates open?

Feb 2, 2008
So I take most people ride XC friendly bikes since you pedal up? I am not sure I would want hit that drop to flat on a XC bike or even a DH rig for that matter. The first guy mentioned a shuttle I would like to try that one day. When are the gates open?
I ride a 06 big hit 1. And that drop isn't to flat. That pic was taken before it was completed. Now its like a 2 foot drop with a decent landing. I would be comfortable doing everything on that trail with a hardtail. No idea on the gates and not sure if they will be opening at all.

Feb 25, 2005
seattle, wa
everything is avoidable. the trail isn't too technical even for the newest of riders if they dont hit the stunts. I took a 12 yr old and my neighbor up yesterday and 12 yr old doesnt hardly ride bikes at all and my neighbor is on a 4 yr old full rigid wal mart special and everyone had a blast. If ya want let me know when you head up there and would meet up with you for the ride.
Reid
Cool thanks; I'll keep that in mind and PM you when the planets have aligned and we can all agree on a day to ride.

OldSkool9

Chimp
Jun 7, 2008
Hilltop
Its been awhile since I did RP. OK, real long time. so nowdays, guess startin outa Cle Elum is how to get there? we used to park in downtown Roslyn by the brewpub then go up & around couple blocks to the old Trailhead? I think there's been major development or something took out that section where you climb your ass off up a super steep part to some double track, then enter RP?
:huh:
thanks
RIDE On

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Since the original post a woman broke her back in a couple of places on the first stunt at the top. Mike has also done a lot more work on the trail. He somehow managed to put a lot more flow in the trail than was there a couple of months ago and has knocked in a couple of new stunts.

Borneo's Rock Drop at the second road is kind of closed but it looks like people are hitting it. Mike stuck some brush in front of it and has some construction material The logging destruction for Jan 2005 has almost disappeared.

The Back Breaker

Nice little go around just built. Check it out!

Entrance to RP after second road crossing. Check out Borneo's rock drop just below this. Who's gone off that rock?

This little bridge area is the only area some riders might find themselves walking. There is no easy around. Its built tight around the rock. Its new in the past month or so.

No rolling off this drop. There is a nice little gap here. This is about 2 miles from the top and is the last stunt. The trail then veers off towards Cle Elum.

knittingfiend

Monkey
Jun 13, 2008
A tick north of Seattle
Man. This is a blast from the past! The last time I went to Rat Pac was prolly '02? I had a blast and always wanted to go back. It's TOTALLY different from the time I was there-- good to know it's fun on a hardtail, humpin' the DH bike up all that way could put a damper on the fun, but the downhill part always makes all that uphillhumpin' worth it!! :brows:

Good to know it's still there. I'd like to check it out, but I'll have to PM someone for directions....

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
It some respects its a totally different trail. Lots of the old trail of course. The big drop at the top has been replaced by the drop at the bottom. There have been some interesting reroutes but the up and down dips and the smooth hard pack trail is still there. I think anyone who rode it in 2005-2007 will be very impressed by the way Mike and his crew overcame all the logging problems. Its probably best to stick this trail in at the end of maybe some decent XC riding along the ridge. A shuttle can still be run but someone will need to knock in some new trail to the bottom near the gate. The new trail makes a long run towards Cle Elum.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Yes, a trail back to Roslyn would be nice. But, that is Mike's trail and he obviously wants to run people back towards Cle Elum and his shop....

What would be kind for both towns/shops is to build a XC run back to Roslyn that skips the grin killing RR grade back and build a climbable run from Cle Elum up to the ridge line that can replace the road. (Yes, I know there are several variations to that. One that goes through a cranky dudes property.) But, something very obvious that Mike could point people to from the shop. Conversely, The run out of Roslyn could still be up Ewok or Alaskan through the course and up Contour, etc to the ridge like many of us that don't mind climbing currently go. Stoked, less than 24 hours from running down it... to the brewery. :cheers:

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum

I had to add this skinny bridge when you get to Cle Elum. Its about a 10 foot drop down to the bottom. The pictures came out a little fuzzy as I took them after the sun went down. If the last drop wasnt enough crossing this bridge should be interesting. I noticed all the tire tracks veered away from the bridge.