Quantcast

Rat Pac Revisited-April 2005

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
My last ride on Rat Pac was back in December after the roads had been cut through but before the real logging, I pedaled up the road-gate open, somewhere right after the 2 mile mark you can see Plum Creek did some serious thinning all the way to the top of the ridge. Upper RP was not affected by the logging. At the top, the two trees with the brown mountain bike sign were still there. I started down the trail maybe 100 yards and lost the trail. It looked like a moto had been down looking for the trail. Plum Creek cleared all the logs but there are a lot of branches and skidder trails.

I went back to the top and went down the gravel road along the ridge and was eventually able to find the rest of Rat Pac which has not been touched by logging. I had previously flagged the spot but the trees and the flags were gone. Motos have been using the trail but there was no signs of any mountain bikes.

You can still run a loop going up the main road-1300 feet elevation gain in 2.8 miles-hit upper RP then go east on the ridge about 1 mile to the new logging road-then down Rat Pac. The easier -cross country part of Rat Pac is missing. Upper RP and the jump is still there and lower RP still has one ladder bridge plus some of the steep drops.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Good news Keith!

So, no problems with snow???
Gotta head over there.

Let me know when the flowers are in full bloom so I can get my spring Moab in Washington fix off the back side.

vibiker

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Santa Clara / Vashon
Any issues with the logging camp down below? Some friends were up there a few weeks back and said that between the signs and all the logging personnel, it was pretty clear that bikers were not welcome.

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
I didnt see any signs of any current logging activity. I think they are pretty much done. The signs and tape are gone. All the brush has been stacked into burn piles. I think it might be possible to dig out the old trail as the only thing covering the trail is branches, the logs and most of the brush is in the piles.

Bob-as far as other biking on the ridge the snow is pretty much gone and the roads while a little soft arent muddy. I saw a couple of small snow patches and that was it. I am thinking of doing a little trail rehabilitation on the Teanaway side where US Timber did there "No Motos" work. I had a nice 20 mile loop that was all rideable till last fall.