Quantcast

Rate my new build

Super-man

Chimp
Jun 20, 2005
Orem, UT
Hi all. Just finished building up my Turner Flux. The only thing left is the wheelset, which I'm still not sure on. I have all the parts listed with pictures here: http://www.jacobgarrett.com/mountainbike/parts.html

I'll include a list in this post:

2007 Turner Flux. Blue
2007 Fox F100 RLC. White
2008 Shimano XTR SL-M970
2008 Shimano XTR FC-M970
2007 Shimano XTR FD-M971
2007 Shimano XTR RD-M970-SGS
2008 Shimano XT BL-M775 and BR-M775
2007 Easton EA70
2007 ChrisKing (Silver)
2007 Thomson Elite Stem (115mm 10 degree rise)

I'm looking mostly for suggestions. Mainly on wheelsets, but if anyone has any constructive criticism, I'm open to that as well.

Thanks!

Super-man

Chimp
Jun 20, 2005
Orem, UT
I thought platform pedals were the "in" thing now? No?

Just kidding. I ripped the platforms, wheels, seat post, and seat off my parts bike. I haven't decided on what pedals to go with yet. I'll be getting the gravity dropper seat post.

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
Go with some sort of eggbeater. I race them on my XC bike and love them. You can't adjust the spring tension but their "never clog" mud friendly design is nice. I ran one race in Wisconsin and people running eggbeaters were the ONLY ones able to clip in. It was a mud fest. Looks good though. I'm running the new XTR line on my Klein but with SD SL brakes and Paul lover levers. Good stuff.

FBTMILF

Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Colorado
Eggbeaters all the way. I run them on my XC bike and cross bike and they are by far the best pedals (I think). Other than that it looks really good. I wouldn't go with the gravity dropper post though unless your going to do more all-mountain riding.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Looks nice! I personally am a fan of SRAM drivetrains and Time Pedals, but to each their own right?

I have the 2008 F100 RLC and it's AWESOME!!!

As for wheels, I just got my first set of Mavic wheels and they're quite nice, so if money isn't an object go for it!

Super-man

Chimp
Jun 20, 2005
Orem, UT
Great suggestions! I was thinking about going Eggbeaters, but I like some of the Time pedals just because I like the idea of easily jumping on my bike with just normal shoes and being able to pedal around if I wanted to. I would think with the Eggbeaters, that wouldn't be nearly as easy.

Anyone have this same issue? I know it's a little thing, but I often just want to ride quickly over to the store, or friends and I don't want to have to put my riding shoes on.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
My faves are Times. I tired Eggbeaters and Candys for a bit and decided they sucked and went back to Times.

I'd get a Thomson post to match the stem. Don't see why you'd need a GD on a marathon machine like that. For wheels...I've seen that all the Turner Homers have been telling you to go I9. I say polished Kings with CX-Ray spokes and whatever rim that floats your boat (Mavic 819, DT 4.2 etc, Stans 355 or Arch)

After the fork and shock get a little tired...Push.

Super-man

Chimp
Jun 20, 2005
Orem, UT
The reason I would get the Gravity Dropper is because I like to do Super D races and the GD would be perfect for that. I'm a DHer at heart so I naturally want to get my butt behind my seat on the DH. Maybe I just get the DH as well as Thompson?

Great suggestions on the wheels and for sure I'll Push my Fox's when the time comes. I've heard a lot of good stuff about Push

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
Pedals.... Yes, eggbeaters are awful if you just want to run to the store or something in regular shoes. However, it can be done as long as you don't try to stand up and mash on the pedals. If you sit and chill it will work fine. Now my question is.... why would you want to leave a full XTR rig outside of any grocery store? And I certainly wouldn't sacrifice pedal quality on a great build like that. The eggbeater is the best XC pedal IMO. I have not ridden Time's though so I cannot really speak to that. I will say that at the one really muddy race I was at people were even having Candys clog up on them. It was nasty...

FBTMILF

Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Colorado
I ride around the neighborhood on my bike all the time with flip-flops on. I don't think they affect anything with regular shoes and like freeride said, as long as you aren't like going balls out to the grocery store they will be fine. You might want to look at the crank brothers candy also. those would be pretty good

Super-man

Chimp
Jun 20, 2005
Orem, UT
I ride around the neighborhood on my bike all the time with flip-flops on. I don't think they affect anything with regular shoes and like freeride said, as long as you aren't like going balls out to the grocery store they will be fine. You might want to look at the crank brothers candy also. those would be pretty good
Lol. Ok good point. I'm not going "balls out" when I hit up the grocery store or go to a friends. I've heard a lot of good things about the crank brothers and the Candy seems like it would be the best choice for me.

Anything wrong with going with the Candy?

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
superman def go with times. i'm a big time xc guy and into other forms of riding. in my opinion time pedals are a hands down winner when it comes to function. they aren't the lightest on the marker but that is more than made up for in other traits.

moff_quigley

Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Anything wrong with going with the Candy?
Yes. They suck. Times have more positive engagement and release and don't have excessive float like Candys do...or at least in my experience. Plus my Times have never released my shoe when hitting a rock or other trail debris.

If you're going to be doing a fair amount of putzing around with regular shoes I'd advise you to just throw on a set of regular flat pedals. Pedaling clipless pedals with regular shoes can be done but it's kinda awkward.

Super-man

Chimp
Jun 20, 2005
Orem, UT
For sure I'll be doing about 90% of the riding on my bike in the mountains, ripping it up, so I am going to need clipsless. If you were to suggest a good Times pedal, what would it be?

moff_quigley

Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Based on the rest of your build you probably want Time ATAC XS Carbons. I guess you could go for the swankier ti version, Titan XS. I'm a cheapy so I run the basic ATAC XE. Only real difference between the XE and XS is that XE is not adjustable and little heavier. I don't miss the tension adjustment as the older ATACs never had it either.

All this said...you need to run a setup that you like and are comfortable with. I'd still keep a set of flats around for the jaunt to the grocery store or buddy's house.

Here's my Turner:

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
I don't like that Time's can clog up. That is the main reason I was drawn to Crank Brothers pedals. I have never had them clog and have never had them release on me... I will agree that Crank Brothers pedals do have a fair amount of float, not the most positive engagement, and you cannot adjust spring tension. However the fact that they are so light, 4 sided entry (on the eggbeaters I run), and won't clog make up for their weaknesses IMO.

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
Another vote for Time, never had a problem and I have 4 sets now, from carbon to ATAC platforms...

UNHrider

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Epping, NH
Im a big fan of Times as well. I ran eggbeaters for all of a week and sold them. Had issues with coming unclipped when clipping rocks and whatnot. Also didnt like the fact that there was no resounding click when you clip into them. they just didnt work for me.

Been in plenty of muddy/snowy races and never had an issue with being able to clip in with my times.

Super-man

Chimp
Jun 20, 2005
Orem, UT
Hey all, finished my bike and thought I would post it out here. Thanks for all the input! Enjoy!

Main purpose: XC trail riding, Adventure races

* Frame Size: Large
* Frame Year: '07
* Color (frame/rear triangle): Blue
* Shock: Fox rp3
* Fork: Fox 100rlc
* Brakes: '08 XT
* Brake Levers: XT
* Cranks: 08' XTR
* Shifters: XTR
* Front Derailleur: XTR
* Rear Derailleur: XTR
* Chain Sram
* Pedals: Crank Bro's Candy
* Stem: Thompson 100m 5 degree
* Handlebar: Easton Monkeylite 1.5 rise 26"
* Seatpost: Thompson 27.2
* Saddle: WTB Lazer V
* Bottom Bracket: XTR
* Cassette: XT
* Headset: Chris King (Silver)
* Grips: Lizard Skin Lock On
* Front Tire: 2.3
* Front Rim: Swiss DT 4.2
* Front Hub/Skewer: Chris King (Blue)
* Rear Tire: 2.3
* Rear Rim: Swiss DT 4.2
* Rear Hub/Skewer: Chris King (Blue)
*** Build Weight: ~27 lbs

Note: I decided to go with the Crank Bro's egg beaters, but depending on how well they work, I could be switching them out soon.

tacklespore

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Texas
I have Mavic Crossmax SL on my Stumpy and Mavic Crossmax ST on Pivot. I beat the crap out of the SLs. They have a lot more lateral stiffness than you would think. Check out some Industry Nines too.