Quantcast

Rattle can paint on a porsche

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

I've never seen Fuchs on a 356. Aircooled VW owners buy them all...

From the PetiteLeMans race in California.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
maxyedor said:
You forgot the mismatched wheels and two tire sponsors, thats how true pimps roll.
3... Yokohama on the front fender.

It's for racing... function before fashion. That's how true racers roll.

Though it looks like they have the rear tire mis-marked... "LF" generally refers to "Left Front".

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
Ciaran said:
Though it looks like they have the rear tire mis-marked... "LF" generally refers to "Left Front".
True. Wonder if they're junk tires for rolling 'round in that dirt paddock area?

Alot of the more well-off Formula Ford guys I raced against used modified motorcycle wheels/tires in the paddock.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Bicyclist said:
Ugh. That 356 is a disgrace.

The 996 isn't so bad but it's pretty ratty.
The 996 is probably just waiting to be painted.

Is the 356 not purist enough for you?

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
punkassean said:
two tire sponsors and a third brand of tire mounted on the car. :clue:
Since when did slapping a sticker on a car mean that you're sponsored?

re: "whale tail" That rear wing is just one of many options for an adjustable wing on a GT3RS/RSR.

Edit: Here's the more typical factory wing setup on a non-rattle can car:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
lux said:
Alot of the more well-off Formula Ford guys I raced against used modified motorcycle wheels/tires in the paddock.
Alot of the Atlantic teams do that as well.

Bicyclist said:
I'm no purist but I hate when people put new rims on old cars.
It's for racing, it's not a car show. Like I said, function before fashion.

Also, sponsor stickers on the car are probably not "sponsors" as bike racers think of them. Likely these are contigincy stickers. You win while running certain brands, and the manufacturer gives you money, or discounts, or product. Or the car may be used in different series that have a spec tire.

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
Ciaran said:
Alot of the Atlantic teams do that as well.
FF2000's too.

Damn I used to love watching the Atlantics race. Them bitches are fast!

One thing I miss about SCCA racing -- getting up close and personal at the races.

One thing I don't miss -- Sliding sideways into a tirewall at 90+mph.:dead:

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
Is that even a rattle can job on the 996? You can see carbon patterns on the back, it looks like it's not even painted. Which is sick because it's lighter and even more of an awesome racer. If you're winning races on it and it's fast then I'd be happy with it. Function before form.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
lux said:
FF2000's too.

Damn I used to love watching the Atlantics race. Them bitches are fast!

One thing I miss about SCCA racing -- getting up close and personal at the races.

One thing I don't miss -- Sliding sideways into a tirewall at 90+mph.:dead:
Awsome! I raced karts but never made it to big cars... well, not yet at least. I keep saying I'm going to do it (FF, F-Vee, or Atlantics at the club level) but it's expensive as hell, and if I am going to race again, it's hard to beat a kart for bang for the buck.

I make sure I go to the Long Beach GP every year on thursday through saturday so I can watch the atlantics. These days you can still get up close in the pits as long as it's not race day. It's sometimes hard to believe that those are sealed inline fours.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
black noise said:
Is that even a rattle can job on the 996? You can see carbon patterns on the back, it looks like it's not even painted. Which is sick because it's lighter and even more of an awesome racer. If you're winning races on it and it's fast then I'd be happy with it. Function before form.
Close up

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
If a racer is giving free advertising to a manufacturer than they must be hoping to get sponsored by said manufacturer. Which is why it's strange to have three different tire manufacturers represented on the same vehicle, sponsored or not. Not to mention my post was an elaboration of a prior post, I used someone elses verbage.....

justsomeguy said:
Since when did slapping a sticker on a car mean that you're sponsored?

re: "whale tail" That rear wing is just one of many options for an adjustable wing on a GT3RS/RSR.

Edit: Here's the more typical factory wing setup on a non-rattle can car:

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
Ciaran said:
...but it's expensive as hell...
The way I (in my never-failing brilliance) figured out how to do it cheaply, was to race Club Ford. Bought an old Hawk DL-15, rebuilt it and away I went into a crushing debt that I'm still struggling to pay off!!!

punkassean said:
If a racer is giving free advertising to a manufacturer than they must be hoping to get sponsored by said manufacturer.
Perhaps one of the manufacturers is a series sponsor and requires teams to display their vinyl regardless of what tire they're running?

I know that's the way it works here in the land of NASCAR. :dead:

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
punkassean said:
If a racer is giving free advertising to a manufacturer than they must be hoping to get sponsored by said manufacturer.
Which is my point.

"hoping to be sponsored" is quite different than actually being sponsored.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
lux said:
The way I (in my never-failing brilliance) figured out how to do it cheaply, was to race Club Ford. Bought an old Hawk DL-15, rebuilt it and away I went into a crushing debt that I'm still struggling to pay off!!!
:rofl: Nice!

Wonder if I could talk the wifey into it... "C'mon honey... we didn't NEED to buy a house!" "Everyone has three mortgages these days!"

I better stick to karts.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
justsomeguy said:
Which is my point.

"hoping to be sponsored" is quite different than actually being sponsored.
my point is if that's the case with this car, it's a self-defeating cause. One sticker would be fine but three should pretty much eliminate any chance of getting hooked up.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
i like the 356... sure, i d prefer a stock / original one, but that thing is very cool...

ciaran - got a couple of carts that we can scoot ??? drag em up the hill, have some brew on the deck and we ll find somewhere to have a drive... :)

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
Is that really a 996? I didn't think the newer models had deep raingutters like that. Also, what's up with the electrical tape between the rear window and the deck lid? He didn't have any duct tape?

I bet it's a re-bodied 911. (look how ghetto that side skirt is)