Quantcast

Rattle inside R2c2

Aug 23, 2011
So I just got back from a quick ride and sprayed my bike off and bounced it a few times to get some water off and noticed that something is rattling inside the fork..My guess is that it's the spring but I dont know. A new spring was put in at sea otter and I never noticed the rattle before. Is it worth breaking the fork down to make sure it's not something else (I would rather not do this, I rebuilt it a few months ago and dont really care to take it apart again)...or should I just not worry and just assume it is the spring. awoiya

jnooth

Monkey
Sep 19, 2008
Vermont Country
I had a "clunking" noise coming from my spring (not really a rattle but maybe its the same as your experiencing) I took the spring out and the shrink wrap was all the way at the end. I moved it more to the middle and the problem seemed to be fixed. It took me about 5 minutes and it may be a good easy starting point.

just pop the top cap and be sure not to pull the spring out to quickly so that you dont loose fluid. check the shrink wrap and put it back in.

Aug 23, 2011
The three peices of shrink wrap all seem to be spaced as they should be, drop stop rod thing is at the bottom of the spring? I assume that it just moves around in there though.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I think the rod belongs stuck to the cap and the elastomer just chills in the bottom, unless they changed it.

It might just be the rockshox rattling around, I suggest you empty the fork of all rockshox. That might help.

Is there free play in the travel or does it just sound like bits are hanging out inside?

Aug 23, 2011
Could just be the rockshox in there. I took the top cap off it goes..] Yeah the rod is connected to the top cap followed by three spacers. Red drop stop peice sits down bellow....it's not doing it anymore...well right now atleast...mmm Im gonna go ride it and report back.

Aug 23, 2011
Alright. So I have been riding it a bit and had ot flopped over tonight and when I flopped it back over I noticed it somothing was still bouncing around in there.. could like the damper como loose or something? Maybe I should just take it apart and see.. yen this was sent from a tablet thing the writting is bad. Sorry