Quantcast

RAW frustrations

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I have searched, but don't know how to word the search properly to come up with results.

I have Adobe PS CS2. I shoot in raw & jpeg, but when I import the pics to iphoto '08, the raw pics turn up as black frames. When I import those pics into PS CS2, they are still black pictures.

Now I understand the need to shoot in raw, but have no idea how to do so. I don't really know too much about PS either...

I'm gonna stop typing now cause I am sounding like a retard.

Can anyone point a retard in the right direction here?

I'll be your best friend...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i don't know anything about iphoto, but i'm guessing that it can't handle/convert RAW files.

can you edit the RAW files using Adobe Camera Raw? what do you need to use iphoto for?

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Ok. I've done a bit more digging and came up with changing preferences in iPhoto to allow RAW imports.

But.

Does anyone use Aperture as their photo management software? Is it worth getting over my CS2 (which, admittedly, I know sht about!).

Fck it. I'm going to start another thread.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Damo,

I use lightroom instead of iphoto and Aperture. It is cheaper than Aperture and works about the same. I have been very impressed with it so far.

You can import raw files and work them right in the program instead of exporting every one to photoshop and then working there, minimizing your time editing.

I use iphoto ONLY for importing decals pics that I have taken with my iphone. Iphoto is like microsoft paint, very consumer based, quick editing, red eye reduction, work.

I hardly do any post processing in photoshop anymore unless I am doing detail work or something in particular.

Look into Adobe lightroom before you think of purchasing Aperture.

Shoot me a PM if you need more info.

Last edited:

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
I love Lightroom. So easy to work with, and every time you upload your photos, it categorizes them for you.

Get the FREE 30 day trial from Adobe. Full program, nothing hobbled, but only time limited to 30 days from first install.

Gimpy00Wang

Chimp
Apr 1, 2009
western MA
If you are looking for photo/RAW management software LR is the cat's meow. I have LR and PS, but LR is so convenient and it handles my adjustment needs 95% of the time.

Adobe has decent coupon codes for LR pretty often. Keep an eye out for them and buy direct. You could also get a student discount...if you are a student. :)

- Chris

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i use Lightroom 2 to process and store my RAWs. once done fiddling i export as jpeg and then store them as jpegs in iPhoto. (iPhoto can work with RAWs but comparatively sucks teh donkey dong.)

i use the two-step process because my gallery creator works within iPhoto, not Lightroom.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Ok. I now have Lightroom 2. I also have about 150 tutorial clips for it.

I havn't had the chance to really work with it properly yet, but I mean to.

When I plug my camera into my computer, iphoto comes up. How can I change LR to be the default importer? Or should I be doing things differently.

Can you guys post up what a typical workflow would be? For basic snaps I mean. I realise if you are taking pics for clients, the treatment would be different.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
perversely i've found the easiest way to change the default app that's launched when a camera is connected to by Image Capture.app. it lives in /Applications. launch it, go to its preferences, and there you can pick what app (or no app at all) is launched.

with regard to workflow, lightroom is pretty self-explanatory: you import, then you switch over to the develop mode and go through each image in turn. being able to copy image processing presets from one image to the next is very key. (that's what that "previous" button in the lower right of the develop section does.)

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
perversely i've found the easiest way to change the default app that's launched when a camera is connected to by Image Capture.app. it lives in /Applications. launch it, go to its preferences, and there you can pick what app (or no app at all) is launched.
Cheers Toshi! I'm still learning Macs...

It's like I'm back at school! Strobist tutorials, Lightroom tutorials, Mac tutorials, Final Cut tutorials...

I think I've taken too many new apps on...

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO

with regard to workflow, lightroom is pretty self-explanatory: you import, then you switch over to the develop mode and go through each image in turn. being able to copy image processing presets from one image to the next is very key. (that's what that "previous" button in the lower right of the develop section does.)
You can also do very quick, very basic work to the photos in the library menu on the right side.

95% of your post process work is in the develop area though.

Once you get it down you will love it, so easy to use. Make sure that you completely go through the program, there are a ton of useful and cool things to do.

Have fun!

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Cheers Tim, but speed is not important at the moment.

I'd just like to know what steps you fellas take from import to export. It'll take me five times as long to do I'm sure, but so did manual exposure when I first started...

:)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
ok...here goes:

import .CR2 files (canon's raw extension) via Bridge, applying my metadata template.
<convert 5D2 raws to DNG since PS CS 3 can't read raw files>
add keywords
run slide show, tag obvious bad files and delete; tag good files w/ 1 star
run slide show of starred photos, select a sub-pool of 2 star photos
open 2 star photos from bridge into ACR
16 bit/Prophoto color space
adjust white balance
adjust exposure
adjust black
tweak tone curve
adjust color channel sat/luminance as required

import photos into PS if other localized adjustments and/or sharpening is required
save to jpg

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Cheers mate!

Where does Lightroom fit into this? Or do you mean you use Bridge to import into LR?

I have Bridge, but haven't even opened it before. Not even explored it. In fact, I just googled it to find out what it does. (!)

When you plug your camera/card reader into your computer, what program automatically opens? Bridge or LR?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Mine:

Pull in RAW and basic jpg's off card into a dated "scratch" folder on desktop. (camera auto saves a low res .jpg copy with every RAW file) I add the date to every import folder and backup sets of folders weekly.
Use Eye of Gnome to review basic jpg's
Open favorite corresponding RAWs in UFRAW and tweak (exposure, white balance, etc)
Export tweaked to another working folder as full res jpg's
Browse folder for pics that need further tweaks in GIMP (filters and such)

The number of pics I deal with is a minute fraction of what narlus might deal with though.

Gimpy00Wang

Chimp
Apr 1, 2009
western MA
My LR workflow typically consists of:

• import images
  • sort through photos and delete what I don't want
  • make edits in Develop module (exp, wb, vignette, etc...)
  • done - export, make gallery, print (depends)

As I noted, I will pull them into PS if necessary -- like for local adjustments.

- Chris

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
If you use a card reader, a dialog box won't pop up unless you have auto-import selected in LR (I think...could be wrong about that.) I don't like that, so I do it by myself. Here is my workflow:

1. Put card into reader.
2. Open LR
3. Select "Import From Device"
4. Import to my photo folder on my hard drive, sorted by the date the photo was taken. Metadata preset gets applied here, the preset depends on what I shot was. Keywords as well, if I feel they are needed (I have some special events where I don't use keywords, because I have a separate LR catalog for that event.
5. I sort the photos by taking a quick run through them, assigning pick and rejected flags as I go.
6. Delete rejected flagged photos from hard drive.
7. Filter by picked flag, and refine ratings with stars/colors.
8. Develop module for tweaks (if needed.)
9. Export as .jpeg for printing or archiving.

Last edited:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Cheers mate!

Where does Lightroom fit into this? Or do you mean you use Bridge to import into LR?

I have Bridge, but haven't even opened it before. Not even explored it. In fact, I just googled it to find out what it does. (!)

When you plug your camera/card reader into your computer, what program automatically opens? Bridge or LR?
i don't use lightroom. it's my understanding that the Adobe Raw Converter for Bridge/PS and LR are similar, though i think that Lightroom added more functionality w/ profiles you can save/apply...i never really spent much time w/ LR2 to be honest. the importing/file collection bit was foreign to me, and i didn't have enough time to delve into it.