Quantcast

Rawdawgin': A Day at Mt. Baldy (PICS!!!)

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
So all this talk around Socal about Mt. Baldy made me anxious to see what they had to offer. So me and 2 buddies headed up there today to check it out. The results: Raw raw raw raw RAW! Baldy is to Mammoth, what Mammoth is to.....everything else. You are sliding your whole way day, and it is about 10x steeper (literally). All and all, a great challenge, lots of fun, and only an hour from SMELL-A. This could be the new Mecca of Socal downhilling, I encourage anyone with some self-respect to check it out. Enjoy the pics!

Breakfast of Champions
[/URL][/IMG]

The Weapons of choice [side note, don't strap down your forks so hard that it compresses about halfway, and then head up 6k feet, as it turns out, it causes your seals to blow :'( ]
[/URL][/IMG]

One of the many reasons LA sucks....

A little hike to one of the trails

Hacktastic and Vessy-poo warming up

Hacktastic heading down with style

Vesspoo left foot forward WTF

Hacktastic getting into the gnar

Vessypoo practicing his moves

Me ripping up the gnar

Hacktastic checking out a SUPER steep chute

Sweet pic of vessypoo not riding, doing a little trailblazing with his hot ass, and Hacktastic getting a chubby laughing behind him

Hacktastic ripping it up the chute

Me behind Hacktastic, showing him how a real man does it

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
There aren't THAT many trails there (but probably the most fun trail is not pictured). We need people to go there and show that Socal DH-ers are interested. It sounds like if there was enough interest they'd be willing to open more lifts and put money into building more trails. This place has amazing potential. TONS of land, lift access from April to December. That's right EIGHT MONTHS OF POSSIBLE LIFT ACCESS!!!! Plenty of super tech trails, and some mellow stuff too, check it out!!

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
nice pics ! i plan on hitting baldy up this summer . i agree with you , it has the potential to be a dh mecca in socal .

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Very nice, its funny, I see alot of people talking about baldy over on that "other site" thats jsut for Socal, and I see them complaining about how loose and steep Baldy is.....All I can think to myself reading the mposts about that is......Guess this is wat seperates teh Downhillers from the guys that just ride big bikes.

I am looking forward to Baldy this summer.

Ringer

Monkey
Mar 4, 2008
before even reading/scrolling through the whole article, i saw the picture of G flipping you off with v in the background and knew we were in for crash pictures. glad my old frame is being put to good use

Alloy

Monkey
Aug 13, 2004
thousand oaks, ca
Baldy is open tomorrow for memorial day... the owner is shooting to open the upper lift late June, but is tough working with forest service... it would help if they had a couple mil to grease them. Anyone care to donate?

He also mentioned forest service wants to see that it would be used for recreation. So it does help to have some people riding the mountain every time it's open. Which right now is weekends and holidays. So get up there, I'm planning on riding tomorrow. (Side note: Sundays get the least traffic, if you want the mountain to yourself go up Sunday.)

Forgot: If you're the type of person that loves having a shinny bike, would blame the lift operator for scratches, and believes trails should clear rocks themselves, that's ok but please do not come to Mt Baldy, you won't like it. On the other hand if you like riding your bike more than looking at it, think scratches give it character, and don't mind helping out moving a few rocks here and there, than you're going to love Baldy. So come on up!

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Sounds sweet, and Sunday is my day off! I'm definitely going to have to come up a few times when I get off school, I'll have to PM one of you guys for the DL.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
If you're the type of person that loves having a shinny bike, would blame the lift operator for scratches, and believes trails should clear rocks themselves, that's ok but please do not come to Mt Baldy, you won't like it.
Agreed. Every once in a while had to stop to kick a few boulder-esque rocks off the trail. That place is sure to punish your bike.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
baldy gets more fun everytime i ride it, went again today. That's nice to hear they're thinking about opening the top, it would be sick to have a mix of different kinds of trails. i'll do my part and keep going, and kicking rocks out of the way. Hacktastic, i just realized who you are, I'm planning on heading back out next weekend, any plans?