Quantcast

Ray's: B-I-K-E- event Feb 8

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Just my opinion, if you break your bike in competition, you borrow someone elses, thats cool. If you break yourself in competition, you compete broken, or your done. You can't sub a new rider in, thats bullocks!

Whatever, I'm just of the opinion that the two bmx transplants riding on newly aquired bikes that (it sound like) hung with the mtb guys probably should have won. But my opinion is biased and I wasn't there, so it really doesn't count.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
You also have to remember that Thomas Hancock is also a bmx pro who just recently started riding hardtails. He kills. IMO, he was the best rider at Supersessions this year. Sucks he got hurt. Is it a broken akle? Or, just sprained? What did he do?

Yeah, I agree on the format being kinda lame. And having straight up "trick contests" like this aren't going to help mtbs gain respect in the eyes of bmxers.

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Naw, I think the idea is cool, just got to work out some of the details. Imagine turning some of the best 20" rider loose on something like this. It might be something simple like a one hander, but what if you use the trick to handplant something ridonkulous? It could be knarly.

Daman

Chimp
Nov 27, 2001
I was there I am not a huge fan of the format but maybe the videographers can work some magic. Style is completely thown out of the equation in this format....release your hands from the grips 0.01875" from the bars and it is a no-hander....
Pic a barspin card ....and do a half bar spin and its good ?
But hey...its part of the game...

it alowed almost unknown riders like Plonka to show what he can do in the final. The confrontation of the big air jumper to the super thecnical street guys was cool to see...in the end...its the riders that were the most versatile and most allaround skilled that won it...it was very cool!! congrats to Ray and all the riders that showed up to compete or just to have fun!

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
team DOB were awesome. blk mrkt killed it too. highlight for me was watching aaron ross 180 the redbull box clean. then go back and try to 180 bars it!! he didnt pull it but he did try 3 or 4 times. came close but pretty much blew up every time. that was ****ing bonkers!! btw he was just practicing.

it was good to meet some dudes there, usb lee, greg melms, ray, tons more.

jeff da grom

Monkey
Apr 20, 2007
Long Island
Thomas Hancock ... Sucks he got hurt. Is it a broken akle? Or, just sprained? What did he do?
I saw him later... said he broke either his tibia or fibia (i can't remember). The format was kinda rough. It made it hard to watch, you had to keep running all over the park. I wish it was just like a jump jam.

GMDesigns

Chimp
Sep 27, 2006
OH
Don't get excited, I don't have footage either...
And I'd rather not post my opinion of the contest format.
(Just how many times did we walk back and forth across that place?)

But...
I think this is an appropriate place to say how neat it was to meet some really great people like:
Lee from USB
Joe from USB
Alain from DOB
Stoked and Jeff Da Grom from RM
Ray Petro
Thomas Hosford of Atomlab
and a bunch who I've already forgotten their names...sorry!
Carter Holland even took my bike for a few laps!

OK, somebody better dig up some footage.

GM

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
a bunch who I've already forgotten their names...sorry!

Ohhhh duh now I know who you are! That custom bike you have is sweet! I wish I would have put it together I would have bent your ear more about the mods.

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
I want video. Haha I was out there this weekend riding a bit. I talked to a few of the locals I know that were there for the comp. More than anything I want to see the 180 over the Red Bull Box. Its a pretty good sized jump....

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
sweet, I dig it! I would think the riders had a good time... maybe not the best from a onlookers perspective, but I bet the riders had fun...