Quantcast

"Ray's" Phoenix?

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Do you think something like Ray's MTB indoor would work in a city such as Phoenix? We've got the opposite problem of Ray's here, during the summer its so damn oppressively hot that you can't even think, much less think of riding your bike at any time other than 4:00 in the morning.

The other thing lacking here is a place to hone your MTB skills. I've ridden Ray's twice now, and both times were highly "educational."

What puzzles me though is how fickle this town is. Nothing seems to last here, what's hot one minute is gone the next. And with some notable exceptions (i.e. The Maroon Van Brigade) there isn't a lot of interest that I can see in this sort of thing.

Do you think it'd work? Be a great place in the winter for all of you snowed in types to come down to. You could ride the park a couple days, go ride all of the trails another day or two, and not be frozen to your core.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Good luck.
This has been bought up countless times on the AZ emptybeer board - lots of people with great ideas, but they don't go anywhere.

The city will not help you. Neither will the riding community really, as they are mostly XC riders. The Pump Track @ McDowell is the most successful attempt so far.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I went out and rode that yesterday. Not bad, but I wish there was more.

I am starting to distinctly get that vibe from the empty beer crowd. "Go out and ride your bike in the open, like god intended (on 1.9" tires and in your finest spandex)" is the whole reply I seem to be getting.

Its too bad, this town could be a GREAT riding town for gravity folks. SOMO is a lot of fun, its kicked my ass a few times now, but it'd be nice to have something with a dedicated set of skills and intended to do dumb things on.

I spoke to some folk in Chandler and some others in Scottsdale/Tempe. I was just sort of shown the door after suggesting what I had in mind on public property.

Kavu, is it just old folk here who want bikes to mind their places and stay off the golf courses?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
That's what I am thinking. However, since I am not as baller as I'd like to be, I would need to find a way to make it commercially viable.
Come to SLC and build it. I have friends who were talking indoor jump pit, but expansion to a Ray's-esque type facility is a short jump. I'm not sure that real estate is any cheaper though, what with the PHX market Hidenburg-mambo.

The big problem with something like it here is there's tons of other crap to do in the winter...something ratholes like Milquackee and Cleveland lack (all offense intended to our midwest monkeys ;)).

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
See, if I lived in SLC I would do something more like Colonade in Seattle.

Then again, if I lived in SLC, my bikes would go away after Thanksgiving, and would come back out of hibernation sometime in the beginning of April for a Moab trip.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
yeah... Pheonix is fickle... not at all up your alley...or is it? Yeah!....Nah...uh...Yeah! on second thought...no way.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
yeah... Pheonix is fickle... not at all up your alley...or is it? Yeah!....Nah...uh...Yeah! on second thought...no way.
You go sit in your corner and stop making astute observations.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Dude, that IS a great riding town for gravity folk. I think you just need to hook up with the right crowd.

Rays in Cleveland is pretty much cold during the Winter, but they can get away with that considering its indoors and dry while a much worse Midwest Winter rages on outside. An indoor spot in AZ would have to be air conditioned in the Summer to work which adds a massive operating expense.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I went out and rode that yesterday. Not bad, but I wish there was more.

I am starting to distinctly get that vibe from the empty beer crowd. "Go out and ride your bike in the open, like god intended (on 1.9" tires and in your finest spandex)" is the whole reply I seem to be getting.

Its too bad, this town could be a GREAT riding town for gravity folks. SOMO is a lot of fun, its kicked my ass a few times now, but it'd be nice to have something with a dedicated set of skills and intended to do dumb things on.

I spoke to some folk in Chandler and some others in Scottsdale/Tempe. I was just sort of shown the door after suggesting what I had in mind on public property.

Kavu, is it just old folk here who want bikes to mind their places and stay off the golf courses?
The emptybeer crowd is one big circle jerk. Gravity riders are not very welcome there. Or anywhere in this town as a matter of fact. I'm surprised the Wednesday shuttle group is still going, although there have already been complaints and a huge flame-fest thread on emptybeer about them.

Most of the gravity guys I know don't shuttle that often, simply because of the general resentment for that activity. SoMo is the only game in town for any "real" DH. There are some private jumps and PT's around the valley, but you have to know the builders.

The majority of the riders here are XC/Roadies. Just the way it is.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Just like anywhere else I've lived. It came on line after a time in New Orleans, same thing in Virginia Beach with enough of us complaining about the lack of more entertaining riding.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Just like anywhere else I've lived. It came on line after a time in New Orleans, same thing in Virginia Beach with enough of us complaining about the lack of more entertaining riding.
Not trying to discourage you.
Just trying to give you a heads up on what kind of opposition to expect.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Not trying to discourage you.
Just trying to give you a heads up on what kind of opposition to expect.
Not at all, I know this dance really well by now.

You know your way around Papago at all?

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
How do you mean?
Yeah, its a pretty small park.

Just saw your emptybeer thread - good luck with that...
I've never been out there. The girl's new 575 gets here next week, so I am looking for some places to take her out and get her used to the riding before I start suggesting bigger and better things like Moab in the spring.

You know me, making friends and influencing people everywhere I go.

I don't have a lot of love for the folk who just want the status quo to keep going forever. I understand the fear of the government, and them limiting your access rights, but this whole entire defensive posture people take when you start suggesting bigger and better things just pisses me off.

I quote the great Jay-Z
I tried to ignore him and talk to the Lord
Pray for him, cause some fools just love to perform
You know the type loud as a motor bike
But wouldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight..

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I've never been out there. The girl's new 575 gets here next week, so I am looking for some places to take her out and get her used to the riding before I start suggesting bigger and better things like Moab in the spring.

You know me, making friends and influencing people everywhere I go.

I don't have a lot of love for the folk who just want the status quo to keep going forever. I understand the fear of the government, and them limiting your access rights, but this whole entire defensive posture people take when you start suggesting bigger and better things just pisses me off.

I quote the great Jay-Z
Papago and the McDowell Comp Loops are both perfect places to teach someone to ride. In fact, Papago is where I first started mtbing when I moved out here.

You will not get anywhere with the emptybeer crowd.

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
Fvck empty beer. They are dumbasses. You need to find a space and make due with what you have. Be creative and I am sure you will have a great park.

If you do decide to go through with this. Make a thread about ideas for the park. I will be happy to post my MS paint blueprints.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
why did they put their two "parks" in the cities they are in?? Cleveland and Milwaukee?? really?
Read my post - there's nothing else to do in awful midwest winters. It used to be drink, bang, and icefish. Now it's drink, bang, icefish, and ride laps inside a warehouse.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Read my post - there's nothing else to do in awful midwest winters. It used to be drink, bang, and icefish. Now it's drink, bang, icefish, and ride laps inside a warehouse.
why would anyone go there to begin with?
as mentioned before, a Rays on the eastern or western seaboard would take off like gang-busters..

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
why would anyone go there to begin with?
as mentioned before, a Rays on the eastern or western seaboard would take off like gang-busters..
They work where they are because the real estate is so worthless. What skatepark could expand to the size of an airplane hanger with coastal property values?

If you want to start something in Phoenix, do what the indie tour companies do in B.C. Get a big van, put some racks on it, and charge money to shuttle people to pristine, unreachable DH trails. You might have to burn in some trails on a dirtbike first, though.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Welcome to phoenix Dirt..... Hot winteres, hotter summers.

Nothing like litterally having your shoes melt when you stand in one place for more than a minute or two.

Bout the only thing out there that stuck as far as... well anything... was fourwheeling.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
One suggestion: you don't necessarily need a warehouse, but a covered space.

Obviously fans are a must, but it might be cooler with no walls.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
See, if I lived in SLC I would do something more like Colonade in Seattle.

Then again, if I lived in SLC, my bikes would go away after Thanksgiving, and would come back out of hibernation sometime in the beginning of April for a Moab trip.
Sometimes changes in season are nice. It actually makes me realize how much i love biking when i can get back on it in the spring. Plus, the boarding out here rules.