Quantcast

Razor Blades

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
In my continuing effort to stick it to the man I was wondering if any of you men or women out there buy razor blades from anywhere online?

It seems like paying $10 for a 4 pack of razors is WAY over priced.
I'm sure just like HP sells it's printers so cheap and it's cartriges for way more than they're worth Gillette does the same thing by over charging for refill blades.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I buy them at Costco. Something like $30 for 16 blades (Mach 3 Turbo). A little cheaper there, but still expensive as hell. I can go a month with the same blade, so thankfully I don't need to refill very often.

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
I might. I recently saw a tv ad for this thing and I think it might make some money even though it probably won't work well in reality.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I buy them at Costco. Something like $30 for 16 blades (Mach 3 Turbo). A little cheaper there, but still expensive as hell. I can go a month with the same blade, so thankfully I don't need to refill very often.
I can go about 4 shaves with the same blade.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I just use the cheap twin blade razors. Those crazy new fangled razors do little more than slice my face up and are expensive to boot.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I can go like 3 years on the same blade. Of course I only shave about every 10 days and only my cheeks and neck. But in my limited experience I like the Gillette Mach series the best. Their heads clean much better. Every other razor I've tried takes several minutes to get it mostly clean (there was always that little bit that wasn't worth the effort to get out.)

Yeah I use the Mach series as well.

Since it costs so much I usually use an electric razor during the week which does a horrible job.

I've actually scratched my daughters face pretty bad by being un-shaven before.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Dan's Comp sends me one of those Quatro razors every time I order something. I use them and throw the whole thing away. I guess I am supposed to run out and buy refills. I am ruining some blood-sucking marketing person's master plan, one razor at a time.

GotMyGED

Monkey
Mar 29, 2006
Knoxville
I can usually make a cartridge last a month, but I still can't stand paying $13 for 4 cartridges. (Gillette Fusion). So last month I downgraded to the Mock 3 razor to save money. I think i like the mock 3 better anyway.

Yes, I am cheap.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
You guys obviously don't realize that a razor blade can last for years......I always trip out when I hear about people chucking one of those 4-blade heads every other shave. Man, what a waste. The reason a blade feels "dull" is the oxidation(read:rust) buildup on the blade at a microscopic level. The reason your blade gets rust is........water on the blade--duh. You don't have to soak the blade in a special solution, use a new blade everytime, etc....just wipe the blade off with a towel after using it and a couple of puffs of air blown across it will take care of any residual moisture and you're good to go. Case in point: I bought a bag of those nice, 3-blade disposables about 3 years ago. I got the first one to last about a year and a half, but I dropped it and it broke. So sad. I've still got several more razors left in the bag---I should be good to go until I'm 40. I know it sounds silly, but it really works.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
yeah I don't know how you guys are going through so many. I use the Mach 3 as well and a 8 pack of blades last me an entire year. Keep in mind that I shave my head every other day as well as my beard....D

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
You guys obviously don't realize that a razor blade can last for years......I always trip out when I hear about people chucking one of those 4-blade heads every other shave. Man, what a waste. The reason a blade feels "dull" is the oxidation(read:rust) buildup on the blade at a microscopic level. The reason your blade gets rust is........water on the blade--duh. You don't have to soak the blade in a special solution, use a new blade everytime, etc....just wipe the blade off with a towel after using it and a couple of puffs of air blown across it will take care of any residual moisture and you're good to go. Case in point: I bought a bag of those nice, 3-blade disposables about 3 years ago. I got the first one to last about a year and a half, but I dropped it and it broke. So sad. I've still got several more razors left in the bag---I should be good to go until I'm 40. I know it sounds silly, but it really works.

ok I'll try it.

Does that work for the moisturizing strip as well?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
What about that spinning blade cleaner on the infomercial?

I go about 6 weeks or more per blade. I shave every other day. My wife goes through blades like the are going out of style.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Time to start shaving with the old double-sided safety razors, about $0.50/razor :D
I just started doing that a month ago. It's not only a better shave, but it saves a TON of money. I've got 100 blades in my medicine cabinet. Total cost was $15 shipped.

The only downside is it takes a little more time in the morning. The upside is I actually like shaving now...

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
You must have an incredibly light beard.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
You must have an incredibly light beard.
Heck no, man......Irish/Italian. I can grow some hair, yo. Unfortunately, what left the top of my head must have migrated to my face....I can have you the Prince symbol on my right cheek in 24 hrs. :rockout:

In all seriousness......just give it a try. I run the blade across the towel three or four times and then blow across the blade once or twice and you're set.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Heck no, man......Irish/Italian. I can grow some hair, yo. Unfortunately, what left the top of my head must have migrated to my face....I can have you the Prince symbol on my right cheek in 24 hrs. :rockout:

In all seriousness......just give it a try. I run the blade across the towel three or four times and then blow across the blade once or twice and you're set.
I pay 10 cents for a new blade, and get about a week out of each one. It's not a concern any more.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
yeah I don't know how you guys are going through so many. I use the Mach 3 as well and a 8 pack of blades last me an entire year. Keep in mind that I shave my head every other day as well as my beard....D
You mean you don't use the "headblade"? :D

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Reminds me of one of my favorite Simpson quotes. I think it was the episode where they star in a reality show and Homer starts using an old fashioned straight razor...

Homer (while his face is bleeding profusely): "Finally!! I'm no longer a slave to the Gillette corporation!!!"

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
I was hoping to open this thread and see some idiot on a combination of razor-scooter/roller-blade.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I agree with drying your razor after each use. I'm going on 8 months on 1 Fusion blade. I just rinse it out with hot water, a quick shake, and then bust out the hair dryer.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I only shave about once a month. I just grow a ratty beard until I cant stand it anymore...then I mow it down with back side of the electric razor, and then wet shave it. Razors last forever.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
On a similar note.

What's with the "more is better theory" in razors. What are they up to now? 5 blades? What's next a Y shaped handle so you can shave both sides of your face at once?

I tried one of the Quattro razors they sent me in the mail. Can't say it did any better.