Quantcast

RC Pwn3ds N8!!!!!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Taken from mtbr:

"I think my actual words were: "29-inch wheel bikes are an evolutionary dead end."

My reasons for saying this are not because I hate 29-ers. They are superior in many ways to 26-inch designs. It was in reference to the fact that, for people below five-foot, six-inches, the concept falls apart. Toe clip overlap, too-tall handlebar heights, too-long chainstays, and no stand-over clearance are the drawbacks for anyone that size or shorter--and that's over half of the population if you include women. Those folks will have to make more than reasonable compromises to join the 29-inch club, so it's a dead end for them.

For them If you are of above average height, however, most of these issues are self canceling, and the performance benefits of 29-ers encourage most riders to overlook any minor shortcomings.

Designers are using shorter cranksets to minimize overlap on medium-sized frames--and if you add the taller gearing that is created by a three-inch larger wheel, you can see that this is a double drawback. Still, Shimano and SRAM could increase the chain take-up of their rear changers and sell 12 X 38 tooth cogsets to settle this little glitch. It could happen.

If you don't mind a bad chain line and a massive "Q" factor, 29-er designers can get by with a wider DH bottom bracket shell. This will settle the cramped quarters where the tire, bottom bracket, chainstays, crank arms and three chainrings have to share space--something that took 26-inch designers and parts makers ten years to settle. The difficulty that can't be easily remedied is that the tail of a front derailleur lines up with the fattest part of a 29-inch tire. The changer can't move in to catch the granny gears if the tire occupies that same space--It's a brick wall.

So, I am sure that the popularity of 29-inch XC bikes will grow briskly for more than performance reasons. The concept is fresh, and thus is attractive to bike sellers. The 29-inch wheel revived the dying titanium bike market, so we should see a marketing boost from them, and there is a large faction of riders who wanted the simplicity of a hardtail and now have a chance to own a version that is superior to its 26-inch rivals--suspended or not.

Now, if everyone wanted a 29-inch-wheel mountain bike, would everyone be happier? I think this is where the concept reaches the end of the line. Does a 52-CM roadbike with a 72-degree head angle, a 74-degree seat angle, and a saddle height level with or below the stem pedal and handle like a 58 CM with a 74 head and 73 seat angle, with its bars in the correct, aero position? Not in a million years.

Custom builders can cheat the rules and make a decent performing bike, but production maker can't. Big-brand bike makers, like Trek must comply with CPSC guidelines to sell bikes in the US and the CPSC prohibits toeclip overlap. This means longer top tubes, steeper seat angles, shorter crank arms and slacker head angles will be used to move the pedals back and the front tire forward. A smaller-than-average frame will perform like a whole different design, and not all that sharply--but it WILL be made and sold, because sales, not necessarily performance drives big bike makers.

So, the evolutionary road forks for 29-inch wheel designs. 26-inch wheel bikes are universal, they can be designed to fit just about everyone. 29-inch wheel bikes cannot fulfill this claim, so their offramp leads to a private drive. If you ride 29-inch bikes--share the love with everyone you meet, but don't get religious and demand that we see it your way."

Richard Cunningham

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
A few notes from a 5'6" rider of a 29er.

Toe overlap is not a problem on my bike. I've never run into the issue and don't expect I ever will.

I run 180mm cranks, I have never had a problem with them

My gearing is just fine. I also fail to see how a shorter crank would necessitate a 38tooth rear cog (ps: I am running a singlespeed)

I can fit a front derailleur on my bike without a problem, unless I decided to run an overly large (ie. 2.3 or bigger) rear tire. I've never run a 2.3 inch tire on anything but a downhill bike.

When was the last time you saw a mountain bike with toe clips? I work at a shop and have yet to see a mountain bike from Trek, Specialized, Gary Fisher, or Santa Cruz come spec'ed with toe clips. We got rid of those in 1995 or something.

Does RC have any other dumb arguments?

I will agree not everyone needs a 29er. Most people under 5'6" would probably not enjoy them due to increased top tube height (which btw I have short legs and have never racked myself on my bike) and at that point toe overlap might become a problem.

However that doesn't mean 29ers are a dead end. Ok, so not EVERYONE needs to or should ride a 29er. Well, lots of people don't ride DH bikes, FS bikes, disc brake equipped bikes, rigid bikes, SS bikes, geared bikes, road bikes, unicycles, fixed gears, etc.....but for some reason people keep making them. Because there is a market for them and they work damn well.

They don't work in every situation and they are definitely meant for a more experienced cyclist, but that doesn't mean we should get rid of them.

Once again, RC can take his advice and shove it. If people didn't ride 29ers then companies wouldn't be making them. Yet some how the high end XC bike market is swarming with them this year. Even Redline is making one!

Variety is key. Keep building unique bikes that ride well.

The Ito

P.S. My bike is hardly what you would call a custom frame. It is a Surly Karate Monkey, basic and lethal on singletrack.

J

JRB

It turns out I didn't really need to poop earlier. Maybe when I get home.

J

JRB

Changleen said:
RC is ghey and so is his ****ty, ****ty magazine.
I always pick up a free one when they cut the cover and send it back. It is my way of telling people what is going on, hopefully driving RC and Zap out of jobs.

*for those not in the know - if it doesn't sell, they just send the top of the cover back in for credit.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
loco said:
It turns out I didn't really need to poop earlier. Maybe when I get home.

Try eating more fiber. If I've learned anything on ridemonkey today it's that a whole lotta people round here need more fiber in their diets.