Quantcast

RC2 vs fit4

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
So Ive been on my pushed 160mm 36 float fit4 for a year and change now and am getting fed up with it. Tuning it to the sweet spot seems impossible and i am always giving up one thing for another. I ordered up the push acs coil conversion and am debating dropping an rc2 damper in as well. I use my fit in the open position 90% of the time, and in the closed only when grinding up fire roads or pavement. Anyone have any experience switching between the two? Should i try the coil set up first and see how that goes, then get the rc2 if needed? Thanks!

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Thanks for that but what's the crib notes version? Besides being able to adjust the HSC what does the RC2 do better? I'm pretty happy with the Fit4s in my 32sc and 34 but just curious because when they switched from CTD to Fit4 I thought the company line was that they were basically copying the RC2 but putting more "user friendly" adjusters on it.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
@dexter does the push modifications do something to the shimstack?

I did get custom shimstack for my fit4 36 from Fillariosa in Finland with way moar shimz than originally and it did make quite a difference : less diving, more support, etc...
The biggest improvement was nevertheless to swap the original xring for a 213 one on the air piston. It kind of liberated the piston from the original stickiness.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Yes Push modifies the shim stack and they also put in their own highspeed compression spring.

It did make a difference for sure, but those differences really came out when I modified the air spring to actually work decently.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Thanks for that but what's the crib notes version? Besides being able to adjust the HSC what does the RC2 do better? I'm pretty happy with the Fit4s in my 32sc and 34 but just curious because when they switched from CTD to Fit4 I thought the company line was that they were basically copying the RC2 but putting more "user friendly" adjusters on it.
Look at the parts linked above and the differences in the compression valve assemblies. They're not the same system. I haven't had a Fit4 apart but it looks like the adjustments just change port configurations over the shims. I found a cheap fork that was a Fit4 last year and asked a well known gear editor at some website if they were worth owning. He gushed so I bought it. I had an RC2 cart in the mail after 4 rides and will never trust him again. :D

The LS comp on RC2s is just way more functional. And being able to adjust the HSC shouldn't be overlooked. One's a real, adjustable and functional compression damping configuration, and the other is 3 steps of uselessness. It's probably just lighter which is why it's everywhere.

Last edited: