Quantcast

RC2X 888 tuning question

Cult Hero

Chimp
Dec 28, 2007
Santa Barbara
I just rebuilt my 888 and the lowers seem slightly loose from the stanchions. The two nuts in the bottom of the sliders just spin when I tighten them, but I think they need to go tighter.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
i think that you have to take the stanchions and clamp them with some sort of device. i think people have used those rubber oil filter wrenches since they will not harm the stanchions. the reason that you have to do this is because i think something inside the stanchions is turning with the bottom nuts and not allowing them to tighten up. ohh and to answer your question yes they need to be tighter. sorry that is very vague, but i was just trying to lend a little bit of assistance. your best bet would be to pm vitox since he is like the master of all that is marzocchi.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Has nothing to do with the stanchions...they are held in the crowns...

Are the foot nuts snug? What makes you think the lowers are 'loose', are they moving? Back and forth, or up and down?

To get the foot nuts tighter, weight (compress) your fork while tightening (use two people). You will never get the nuts tight enough to stop or bottom out, as the damper cartrage will always be able to spin.

The foot nuts have 0-rings on them to seal the oil in without needing the nuts to be overly tight.

Cult Hero

Chimp
Dec 28, 2007
Santa Barbara
upon further tweaking I am thinking that the oil change and judy butter just made the fork that much more supple that I am feeling a small travel change when I rock them (loose headset test).

I rebuilt them last weekend but didn't get to ride them until today. I dropped tunnel trail behind my house which is like 20 minutes of rocks and I think that was the break in they needed.

The fork sags about 1/4 inch with the weight of the bike. The stanchion bolts are snug, and yea the damper is just spinning. I tightened up the top caps, which were a slightly loose and the play I thought I felt is gone.

The fork has 8 clicks of preload and 8 clicks of low speed compression damping and feels great in the parking lot test, but just messing with it in the garage, once again headset test, I think I hear a clunk, but I think it is my mind messing with me.

Thats how mine felt after rebuids and break in. It has the best small compliance of any fork i ever rode, only problem for me was excessive brakedive, but that fork tracks so well. When mine was running top notch i could compress through the top two inches of travel with just my fingertips pushing down on the top caps

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
okay thanks for explaining that davep. i was just trying to quote what i have heard on here a time or two trying to help him out a little bit.