Quantcast

RC3 EVO or Avalanche damper cartridge?

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
So I just sent my '09 888 RC3 back to Marzocchi for some bushing play and what seems to be a blown damper cartridge (this is the second time). I was told that I could upgrade to a new RC3 EVO damper, since they're swapping out the blown one. The cost would be ~50% that of the Avy cartridge.

I KNOW that the AVALANCHE NATION will all say the obvious answer, but has anyone used BOTH setups on their 888? What say you?

ps: does the evo cart. even have independent HSC/LSC damping circuits, or are they still adjusted simultaneously with the same damn knob?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Neither of them have independent HSC/LSC.

How did you manage to blow up an RC3 cartridge??

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
hmmm...The Avy cartridge has individual adjusters for HSC/LSC, are the circuits still somewhat intertwined then?

Both times the dampers started leaking oil out at the bottom of the compression damping adjuster after ~1 day of riding @ Whistler. Darren @ Marzocchi said that the culprit would be a blown o-ring in the bottom of the damper assy, not a seal on the lowers themselves. It's really odd, since this was relatively light riding, just doing some mello recon-type resort runs. I never go for broke on the first day of a long trip. No hucks, no jump cases, etc.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Avys hi speed is dictated by the shimz (MMMMM) and the adjuster is for the fine tuning of low speed as is the marzocchi stuff being tuneable now...
I know of a couple of guys not hacks and great at tuning that have aced the new 888 internals for the avy stuff (couldnt be happier), PLUS Avalanche has Hydraulic bottom out to boot...

Ill see if I cant get atleast one to chime in on their thoughts...
They ride Alot of stuff and try just about everything out there as well as tune stuff and dial in race prepped bikes... Alot of their prepped bikes now sport avy internals the boxxers (32s and 35s) and the 888s....

Last edited:

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
does it?
their site mentions only LS rebound and LS compression
dammit, my mind is F'ed.

"22 clicks of low speed rebound and low speed compression adjustment"

you are correct, sirs.

Ill see if I cant get atleast one to chime in on their thoughts...
It would be much appreciated. I suppose everyone is biased to a certain extent, but I'd like as much input as possible.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I've spent some time on the EVO, and have a 10Boxxer with an Avy cart here. I'll not be able to doa report for a couple of weeks though sorry, as there's a week left of the ski season here(I live near the snow), and I'm waiting about a week or two for my new frame to put the forks on.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
dammit, my mind is F'ed.

"22 clicks of low speed rebound and low speed compression adjustment"

you are correct, sirs.

It would be much appreciated. I suppose everyone is biased to a certain extent, but I'd like as much input as possible.
No worries and No skid will have a pretty good handle on it as well... Ive been trying to get him to chime in, between work/racing and riding hes not a E-pirate at all... Literally Id be surpised if he knew how to do more than turn the power on one.... But hes a hell of a qualified guy and knows his stuff so Ill try as I think it would be valuable info... I know where he stands on it and Id like him to reflect it on here... Hes happy...

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
So I just sent my '09 888 RC3 back to Marzocchi for some bushing play and what seems to be a blown damper cartridge (this is the second time). I was told that I could upgrade to a new RC3 EVO damper, since they're swapping out the blown one. The cost would be ~50% that of the Avy cartridge.

I KNOW that the AVALANCHE NATION will all say the obvious answer, but has anyone used BOTH setups on their 888? What say you?

ps: does the evo cart. even have independent HSC/LSC damping circuits, or are they still adjusted simultaneously with the same damn knob?
ordered one for my 888 evo ti, should arrive here this week...

FlyinPolack

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
as you know, I love my avy cart, it works better than the stock ever did. I haven't used the evo unit, but I'm pretty sure that it's tuneable (minus the mid speed valving & anti-bottoming part that the avy has). Craig will get it all tuned for you & your style of riding, I'm not sure if zocchi will.
:thumb: