Quantcast

RCS Ti springs for Fox DHX

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
RCS has finally delivered the new size of springs for the fox DHX shocks. the spring ID is 1.38 like the steel springs are.

The good news is that there is increased clearance by the Boost knob and lighter weight.

Weight wise-

3 x 400
steel DHX spring 570g
DHX Ti spring 395g
RCS Ti Spring 1.43ID 422g

3 x 450
DHX ti spring 459g
1.43 Ti spring 518g

So far there is
3 x 350-550
2.75 x 350-550
2.5 x 350-550

Not all sizes have arrived yet but most have.

http://www.go-ride.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=800023CE-1201726024

Krispy

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Why doesn't anyone make Ti springs for fatties like me who would 1) See an even greater weight loss, and 2) be able to fit heavy weight springs on their shock easier due to their shorter length? I'm guessing supply and demand right?

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Well actually we're psyched to have 550's now because the old 550 was way to big around to fit.

The Ti spring wire gets bigger quicker than steel, over a 550 may not be possible in a DHX size because the resi sits fairly close to the body.

Also the light springs are really short but the heavy springs are really long.

And yeah.. sorry man but the racer types tend to be on the (slightly) smaller side and the weight saving ratio of you to your bike is less.

poonstar

Monkey
Jan 6, 2008
if i have a 300lb spring...does that mean i should also get a 300 lb ti spring? i've heard mix opinions about going heavier when swapping for a ti spring...

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
if i have a 300lb spring...does that mean i should also get a 300 lb ti spring? ...
yes, 300lbs is 300lbs, no matter what language, country, or spring material. now getting a 3.0x300 is a little more difficult, manitou makes one, rcs only makes one in the bigger diameter size, but they still fit the dhx

JESUS, $350??!?!? Did Ti go up in price or something?
prolly just our economy goin otb

poonstar

Monkey
Jan 6, 2008
RCS makes a 300lb for the DHX...they sent me an email from with with a part number and they are in stock right now and ready to ship

chuckie

Monkey
Jul 2, 2007
hey i just got a RCS 350lbs delivered in the mail, there are no markings on it, how do they know its a 350lbs x 3 spring?

I thought spring measurements are printed on the spring

Other than fitting it, how would I know?:imstupid:

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Yeah I would like one of these but, 250 bucks to drop 1/4 lb. whew
think I will look elsewhere to drop some weight, let's see skip the 1/4 burgers save money
drop 1/4 lb go broke, hmmm???

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
3 x 450
DHX ti spring 459g
1.43 Ti spring 518g
That seems quite odd. I have a 1.43" id RCS 3x450 spring and weighed on a legal postal scale it was 425 grams. That's quite a variance from what you have.

hey i just got a RCS 350lbs delivered in the mail, there are no markings on it, how do they know its a 350lbs x 3 spring?

I thought spring measurements are printed on the spring

Other than fitting it, how would I know?:imstupid:
Yeah, my RCS has absolutely no markings on it either. I expected more from the most expensive titanium spring on the market.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
My RCS springs have the rate written on the flat surface on one end. Just in marker pen though, and it quickly wears off!

And FWIW, I've got the impression from RM over the years that RCS are the spring to own, but in actual fact manitou/progressive/obtanium all tend to be lighter from what I've seen!

poonstar

Monkey
Jan 6, 2008
RCS rolls ti-springs for mojo in the UK where they offer a regular ti version and a race version. the race version is comparable to obtanium spring weights.

pdawg

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Espoo, Finland
From CRC UK, I was tempted by the Nuke Proof Ti Springs. Chinese titanium to go with a Taiwanese frame can be such a bad combo, can it? :biggrin:

Maybe I hold out for the RCS, if the backorder situation ain't so bad.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I just picked up my Obtanium today. Sitting side by side to my standard RCS the difference is quite large. 1/2" shorter and much smaller wire size. And the weight.....RCS was 425, the Obtanium 293.

Yes.....293 grams on the same legal postal scale! Add in the 2 spacers for the DHX at 20g a piece and we hit 333 grams. The RCS with the DHX spacer at 8 grams came to 433. Exactly 100 grams heavier and almost $100 more expensive. I mean if the main purpose of buying a Ti spring is for weight savings, why not pay less and get more with Obtanium.

Just to be totally clear, your RCS is not a DHX specific spring, which they now make and what this thread is about.
The RCS DHX springs are lighter than the older 'universal fit' springs that you weighed.

Jim's springs (Obtainium) are still lighter however and I think he has a better feel for what MTB'er want in a spring. All he builds are bike springs, so that is where his focus and all his engineering/motivation goes. RCS makes LOTS of springs for LOTS of different industries....probabaly all of them make RCS a lot more $$ than the bike stuff.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
Just to be totally clear, your RCS is not a DHX specific spring, which they now make and what this thread is about.
The RCS DHX springs are lighter than the older 'universal fit' springs that you weighed.

Jim's springs (Obtainium) are still lighter however and I think he has a better feel for what MTB'er want in a spring. All he builds are bike springs, so that is where his focus and all his engineering/motivation goes. RCS makes LOTS of springs for LOTS of different industries....probabaly all of them make RCS a lot more $$ than the bike stuff.

I realized I posted in the RCS thread instead of the Obtanium thread and deleted that one.