Quantcast

Re-discovering old trails

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I went riding today at a trail system I used to ride daily and had forgotten how absolutely awesome the trails there are.

After I moved away, it became a hassle to get there because of the gas, tolls and time involved to get there. It didn't help that you need to ride before the 9-5er's start to show up for their dog walking and such.

I was out that direction for an errand and made a point to bring my bike and gear to get in a few laps. I forgot how absolutely awesome the trails really are. The downhills are technical, fast and challenging; the climbs are super technical and steep, but can be ridden with a 1x10.

We do a regular Tuesday after work ride, normally in my immediate backyard, but we will be mixing this system into the works. One of the guys lives out there and everyone works market hours, so we can get out there before the 9-5er's.

I'm just so stoked to have 're-discovered' these trails that I used to ride daily!

mudgirl

Molester of monkeys
Jun 8, 2007
Tied up in the basement
That's cool. I haven't really been mtb'ing long enough to rediscover old trails, really, but I do love to check out new places whenever I have the time. We have a local state forest that was previously quite underdeveloped, but one of my friends has been unemployed for the past couple years and has been building a pretty extensive trail system out there in his free time. So it's been pretty cool to have a "new" place to add into our weekly rotation of rides. The trails are so much different from the other places we already ride because the trails are not broken in at all, so they're still really soft and loamy, and the trails are totally unmarked, so you have to go with someone who knows them. It's really like being out in the middle of nowhere.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Go to plattekill, rediscover old trails.

Repeat pretty much every time you go to plattekill.

I haven't ridden some of my old haunts in like 10 years, but they were never much more than average...

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Go to plattekill, rediscover old trails.

Repeat pretty much every time you go to plattekill.

I haven't ridden some of my old haunts in like 10 years, but they were never much more than average...
every time i go, i still find a trail i remember from years past. the vegetation tends to hide all the old gems (and keeps em secret :thumb:)