Quantcast

RE: DT Swiss 440 Hugi fr hub

Bobby Peru

Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Big Tuna, TX
I have a 165 MM rear axel... this is about the only hub that is 1/2 decent for my bike. Any tips on it? Any suggestions? Is it loud? Is it worth the ca$h? I am getting it laced to an ATOMLAB DHR rim. I hope this is a good wheelset!

Thoughts?

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
DT hubs are very good. Well sealed star drive ratchet is fantastic and crazzzzy light. Atom lab rim? does it have eyelets? I dont often hear good things about them but I had a set with no problems.

Bobby Peru

Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Big Tuna, TX
klunky said:
DT hubs are very good. Well sealed star drive ratchet is fantastic and crazzzzy light. Atom lab rim? does it have eyelets? I dont often hear good things about them but I had a set with no problems.
The guy @ Adrenaline bike shop told me that DT Swiss licenses their patent to Chris King, so in effect, a DT Swiss is as good or better than the CK. All I am concerned with is that this is a good hub. My bike (Iron Horse SGS DH Pro) has some wierd sizes to it.

- 1.5 headset
- 165 MM rear axel
- 29.2 seatpost
-100 MM bottom bracket

I have upgraded most of my bike and the wheelset is about the only thing left. I went with their suggestion of the ATOMLAB DHR rim and the DT-Swiss Hugi FR hub. This wheel (rear) set me back $475.00! I just trust them a lot but now I am 2nd guessing them. After reading a few reviews. I'd like to hear from some people that have this hub.

I would like a loud hub, ala Chris King. I like the way it sounds, but more importantly, I would like a strong hub. I do some pretty mean drops (10') and I just want to know that this will hold up. For the ca$h I am spending, I expect them to hold up well.

Attachments

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
The DT is not as loud as a king. I dont think the thing about DT licensing to king is true but I might be wrong. you will not regret getting a DT hub

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
i got my chris king upgraded to a 150mm spacing for my orange 223 and its amazing just like the first year i had it on my hardtail before i got it converted.
it also made the rear of my bike amazingly light and track a bit better cause of the lighter rim and hub. i think if i change to ghetto tubeless it will save a fair amount and make the wheel track even better.
comming from a swinger 4way and an azonic hub 321 rim
to a
fox dhx air and rhyno lite xl chris king wheel the suspension performance upgrade is so amazing it feels like a new bike.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
julian_dh said:
i got my chris king upgraded to a 150mm spacing for my orange 223 and its amazing just like the first year i had it on my hardtail before i got it converted.
it also made the rear of my bike amazingly light and track a bit better cause of the lighter rim and hub. i think if i change to ghetto tubeless it will save a fair amount and make the wheel track even better.
comming from a swinger 4way and an azonic hub 321 rim
to a
fox dhx air and rhyno lite xl chris king wheel the suspension performance upgrade is so amazing it feels like a new bike.
Ya what???

Chris king don't even make a 135mm spacing 12mm thru axle hub let alone a 150mm spacing rear hub. Whats the go? Pics or it didn't happen!

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
The DT swiss hub is about as good as it gets. I run a front HUGI FR and when i got it out of the box i thought they had sent me some XC prototype hub it was so light. Just dont get a ringle. :mumble:

Jun 16, 2004
Vancouver BC
It's worth the money and it's not crazy loud. Sure, it doesn't have the quick engagement of the King, but it has a more solid feeling than the King. And you're right: for high end 165x12mm hubs, there's not a lot of options: DT Swiss and Hadley are about it.

We've had great success with the DT Swiss hubs that we sell and their customer support is quite good as well.

Noel Buckley

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Also look into a HOPE Bulb hub for a quality rear hub that might be a little cheaper. I just got my rear bulb wheel yesterday (laced to a MTX rim) and the titanium freehub engagement feels very solid and smooth.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
Hope rear hubs suck in anything over a 135mm they just add some material between the spoke flange and disc mounting area to take up the difference.

I would MUCH rather select a hub that has a wider spoke flange to spoke flange area hence the whole point in bikes having a wider rear end than 135mm

J

JRB

I broke a DT hub this summer and had my wheel rebuilt by them in less than 1 week. Perfect service from Dave at DT.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Ringle also makes a 165mm hub. The DT is really nice, i have one on my 4x in 135x12 and it's pretty sweet and trouble free.

MisterMental

Monkey
Jul 26, 2002
UK
i always got the impression that wider dropouts were to accomadate for the 100mm bb so that you dont get a wack chanline and can run a dishless wheel.
having an extra bit of material between the flange and the discmount wont stop you doing either so theyve got it down really.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
MisterMental said:
having an extra bit of material between the flange and the discmount wont stop you doing either so theyve got it down really.
yeah no matter what you'll get that if the hub is to be dishless, ie. that spacing is determined by the casette width.