Quantcast

Re-Entry into BMX.....what do I do?

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Greetings.......I was interested in getting back into BMX racing after many years away, and am interested in knowing a few things before I commit half-heartedly. I'm 30 yrs. old, and ride MTB's alot, recently getting into DH racing as well. But with the scarcity of races in our area this year due to one reason or another, I find myself wanting a little something more in the way of competition. I'm not a highly competitive person, but I enjoy the thrill of it all, and the desire to do my best everytime.

With that being said, I have a few questions. First, since I'm used to mtb sizing, would a 24" cruiser be a better fit for me? I'm 6'2" and about 185lbs., so I'm kinda leaning towards that direction, but with the changes in BMX geometry---longer top tubes and all, would a 20" not be such an irrational thought? If any of you tall riders out there have any experience with this, feel free to chime in and share your experience.

Second, who is the governing body of BMX racing these days? ABA? Do I obtain my license through them? What should I expect from the BMX tracks these days? I notice that many of them have gone to paved corners and starting hills. Is this a speed or traction thing? Little of both? Forgive my ignorance.....I could research all of this with a little time, but it helps to hear real world experiences from those that may have walked that path before me.

Who are some of the bike manufacturers that I should be looking at? I was looking at a Gack 24" frame.......what are some of the things I should stay away from, parts wise?

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
I recently got back into the BMX world and got a 24". You'll be able to find a frame to fit you in 20" no problems. If Barry McManus can ride BMX (6'4") you shouldn't have a problem either.

Both governing bodies are still alive, NBL and ABA. You can get a license from any track. Paved corners are becomming popular these days in both leauges. Look for the track to be bigger than 10 years ago. Lots of tight 6-7-8 packs, big double jumps, big step ups. You have to be brave and smooth in today's racing world.

Maybe instead of blowing a huge chunk of cash on your first BMX, get a mid level and decide if you really want to get back into it first? I bought a $400 K2 cruiser with the intention of feeling the sport out again. I'll probably step it up here soon and buy a nice Standard or S&M or something of that nature soon. Get a nice full cro-mo frame and tear it up!

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
Well, there aren't as many companies making nice (complete) cruisers as there used to be. I think DK makes an okay model. Free Agent does too, if I remember correctly.

You can certainly find a 20" bike to fit you these days, but I think your best bet will be to go to the track some weekend and see who all is racing in your class. Since you're 30, you may find that there are more guys on the big wheeled bikes than the smaller. At least that's how it is at my local track.

Oop, just remembered. Nirve makes some okay race bikes in both chromoly and aluminum.

Fenner

Chimp
May 25, 2003
not meaning to spam but i have to get ride of my 24in so i can pay my parents back. (dk general lee) cheep. lots of upgrades.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
I'm 6'4" and I ride a 20in bike with a 20.65in TT. You just got to get used to it again. I can jump from that to my 24" TT dh bike just fine now. I was in the same position as you I wanted to get a bmx bike to try out and its been so much fun.