Quantcast

Re: New Vice Hub design ... opinions

Jan 6, 2004
Edinburgh
Vice Bikes have a new front hub design that we've been working on and we would appreciate some opinions.

The hub is 20mm with a possible QR compatible bolt on axle in the future. The core of the design is around huge 47mm diameter and 12mm wide precision bearings. These bearings are very smooth, strong and long lasting. The large footprint of the bearings adds to the rigid nature of the design - a nature which starts with the 3 piece outer axle.

The outer axle acts like a vice when a 20mm axle is tightened through it. This vice action acts on the inner race of the bearings, clamping them firmly but without restricting the spinning motion.

Emphasis is very much on strength and not weight (a corner of the market already well catered for). Mass is an estimated 372g - this may seem a lot until compared to a Hope BigUn (318g). The difference is that almost half of the weight of ours is in the bearings, which is weight well spent given the strength, reliability and smoothness.

The entire is made from 7075 T6 alu, a material known for its very high strength as well as being very resistant to corrosion. As usual the machining and testing is carried out on the North Shore of Canada.

So thats it, any opinions appreciated - for more details see http://www.vicebikes.net/fronthub.html

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Is there really a need for a bigger burlyer front hub? (I really don't know that's why I'm asking?)

Seems like that is about the least likely part to fail on a MTB. A good stiff hub makes sense but then again aren't you limited more by the fork you attach it to?

One thing that kind of bugs me about my current hub is that it (or the fork, I don't know which) has some play in it. When I corner hard I get a lot of rotor / pad rubbing. Would a hub like this elimate that type of rubbing?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
When was the last time someone broke a front 20mm hub?

exactly.

Why would anyone in their right mind pay $160usd for a front hub, when a $40 one will work just as well. It isn't rocket science...its 2 bearings and an aluminum sleeve..that's it.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Well, I'm all for improvement - even incremental improvement. But I have to agree, a 20mm front hub is the easiest place to save money on a bike setup - it's simple, the bearings are already big, and even the cheapest of front hubs don't usually break.

Fun project, just don't think there's much more than an academic purpose to it.

It would be an interesting hub for tandems, though, since they put so much more stress on their hubs.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Also keep in mind the Maverick 24mm axle hub is reviled for non-standardness that comes with little performance gain.