Quantcast

Reach on DH bikes?

gurterno

Chimp
May 8, 2010
I really want to buy a round tube Turner DHR and I can see they've got them on Goride for $1399, but only in medium. So my question is: Is there no way a 6'1" guy will fit on a medium. I quite like small bikes but I dislike hitting my knees against the handlebars. I have no opportunity to try one.

Turner specify reach (center crank to center bottom of headtube) in their geo sizing instead of TT. So to compare:

Reach:

Turner DHR (M): 17.2 in = 437 mm
2010 Demo 8 (M): 429 mm
2010 Demo 8 (L): 447 mm
2010 Demo 7 (M): 429 mm
2010 Demo 8 (L): 449 mm
Transition TR450 (M): 391.62 mm (center crank to center top of headtube)
Transition TR450 (M): 417.02 mm (center crank to center top of headtube)
Trek session 8 (M): 390 mm (center crank to center top of headtube)
Trek session 8 (L): 415 mm (center crank to center top of headtube)

Doing some trigonometry on the Trek numbers (64 degree HA and 125 mm headtube) we find that in order to get center crank to center bottom of headtube we have to add 54.8 mm to those numbers:

Trek session 8 (M): 444.8 mm (center crank to center top of headtube)
Trek session 8 (L): 469.8 mm (center crank to center top of headtube)

So in my head that means that a medium Turner DHR is only 8 mm shorter in reach then a M Trek Session 8 which I have tried and liked. So then I can just have a 60 mm stem and I'll be fine. Or am I thinking wrong????

And as an addition I am currently riding a 2006 SX trail M with a 60 mm stem and I am liking that size. Previous DH bikes have included 2 medium Big Hits and a medium Mongoose Black Diamond. But the Black Diamond felt small.

Opinions please

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I am 6'1, and there is no chance in hell I would have fit on a medium round-tube DHR. The Large that I owned had excellent fit and geo (save the seat angle which I didn't think was so hot). I personally like larger bikes and would ride a bike longer than the Large DHR in a second...in fact, I do.

I can vouch for Mr. UCSB's bike too. It's very VERY clean and well taken care of. No major cosmetic marks, no play, no warrantied parts. Might as well be new. Plus he's a pvssy hehe.

burfurger

Chimp
Oct 29, 2010
Reno, NV
I am 6'2" and you want a Large Turner Frame.
It is a perfect fit, Med will be too small for you.

I have one in perfect condition for sale, drop me a private note.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Turner specify reach (center crank to center bottom of headtube) in their geo sizing instead of TT. So to compare:
The geometry chart for the new DHR has a standard reach measurement. Verticle line measured from the center of the BB to the top of the headtube.

I'm 6'2" and basically figured out I like my reach around 17 inches for a big bike. In fact, my 951 measures around 16.75 and it's perfect IMO. :think:

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
I'm now reminded that a friend of mine had a medium 2005 square tube that felt great to me... Was the sizing different compared to the newer round tube frames?