Quantcast

Reach/stack in relation to wheelbase

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Wading into DH bike geometry for the first time since longer reaches became a thing. Do your reach/stack preferences change between your shorter wheelbase bikes (trail/am) and longer (dh), assuming similar chainstay/wheelbase ratios? Stack is getting pretty high on bikes in relation to reach, and I'm wondering if others find they can get away with a longer reach/stack combo on a longer wheelbase bike (specifically higher stack for a given reach).

Last edited:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
So far I seem to be a guy that wants to reproduce reach and stack numbers on both DH and trailbikes.
Which is a problem, aka I am in the market for a larger trailbike.:D

DH bike is a current Canyon Sender XL: Reach 487mm
Trailbike is a 2014 Giant Trance SX XL: Reach= shorter

Now going back to the trailbike feels cramped as the reach is about 25-30mm shorter.
On stack I just go by feel, but as I am 1,90m and have long arms and legs, I prefer high stack numbers.
Fwiw, I like to use the same components cockpitwise so I don't need much time to adjust switching bikes.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
So far I seem to be a guy that wants to reproduce reach and stack numbers on both DH and trailbikes.
Which is a problem, aka I am in the market for a larger trailbike.:D

DH bike is a current Canyon Sender XL: Reach 487mm
Trailbike is a 2014 Giant Trance SX XL: Reach= shorter

Now going back to the trailbike feels cramped as the reach is about 25-30mm shorter.
On stack I just go by feel, but as I am 1,90m and have long arms and legs, I prefer high stack numbers.
Fwiw, I like to use the same components cockpitwise so I don't need much time to adjust switching bikes.
Pole bikes has some really long trailbikes if that's your thing.

As for me I'm kinda split but I've been riding old bikes. I tend to like a slightly different position since I want my trailbikes to be more playful.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I only have one bike but I think I'd be similar to Mo(n)arch, same reach on everything but the more travel it had I'd scale the front and rear centres up, static BB height would raise as wheelbase and travel increase.

My 650b AM hardtail has 468mm reach with 635mm stack, I run one 5mm stem spacer and a 30mm rise bar and it is spot on for me, they need to have higher stack than a dually though.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I screwed around with longer reach on my DH bike but didn't like it all that much. And this is coming from a guy that likes short stems on his DH bike. I need to size down like 20mm on the DH bike compared to the trail for manueverability.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
My trail bike is 455/632, DH bike is 456/615. I think I have a 10mm spacer on trail bike and 20mm on DH bike so they're both pretty much the same.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
What’s throwing me off is trying to take the extra 15mm of stack height from the upper crown into account. I’m in between sizes at 179cm and generally prefer larges to mediums, however my choices seem to mostly be an effective reach in the ~435 range after taking the reach/stack effects of the crown into account, or something in my preferred ~455 range but with a stack height 20mm taller than I’m used to.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I would think having the front of the DH bike slightly higher won't hurt too much as you're likely descending steep terrain constantly, versus the varied up/down on your trail bike.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Pole bikes has some really long trailbikes if that's your thing.

As for me I'm kinda split but I've been riding old bikes. I tend to like a slightly different position since I want my trailbikes to be more playful.
I'd say my sweetspot for riding down a hill is around 480-490mm. Thankfully there are plenty of options out there nowadays. In the past I'd have to settle for bikes flat out too small for me. These days are thankfully gone. I never had such a relaxed position on a bike while descending as on the new DH-rig. Instantely faster and less fatique.
Not seeing myself on a Pole etc., eventhough I'd like to try one. I am not sure if reaches over 500mm with a 50mm stem makes sense for my size.

We're usualy riding the same type of stuff with our DH-bikes aswell as our trailbikes/enduros (Italian, Austrian and swiss alps), so being able to replicate the same sensation sizing wise makes a lot of sense.

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I just ordered a DH frame with the same reach (465-470) as my enduro. That's a touch shorter than most would recommend for my height but keeping the front end length in check results in a bike that feels more playful and quicker in tight stuff. It's still longer than was available a few years ago. I'd normally put my handlebar just slightly higher on my DH than my 170mm enduro bike.