Quantcast

Read me--French/Greenpeace conflict

patconnole

Monkey
Jun 4, 2002
bellingham WA
I never heard about this, has anybody else? This is a quote from a philosophy essay I had to read for class, called "Special Ties and Natural Duties" by Jeremy Waldron, 1993.

"..... There are things a Frenchman could do in France that would undermine the laws and institutions of New Zealand. We need not play with hypotheticals: a real-life example comes to mind. In 1985, French officials conspired to arrange a terrorist attack by their agents on a ship, the Rainbow Warrior, belonging to the Greenpeace organization. The vessel was used by Greenpeace to harass the French in their conduct of nuclear weapons tests in the South Pacific. It was bombed by agents of the French military, operating covertly in New Zealand, while it lay in Auckland harbor. Owing to their Clouseau-like incompetence, the French operatives immediately responsible were apprehended by the New Zealand police and eventually pleaded guilty to charges of manslaughter (for one Greenpeace activist had died in the attack). But it is not the attack itself that is the focus of my example; it is what happended afterwards. During the investigation of the attack, French officials were unhelpful to the New Zealand police, and it is widely believed that they urged their operatives to perjure themselves in the New Zealand courts. Once the saboteurs were convicted, the French persuaded the British and American governments to put economic pressure on New Zealand to secure their release. Thus in various ways officials of the French government living and working in France consprired to undermine the operation of the criminal justice system in New Zealand............. In this case, obstructing justice in New Zealand was both a possibility and a temptation. The French had a lot to lose if justice were allowed to run its course."

Crazy. It's just funny where I found this story, in an essay about political obligations--- Written by a New Zealand man I believe.

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
I do not trust those French...

They don't even speak English, and I hear they hate Lance Armstrong too...Bastards!:rolleyes: :p :rolleyes:

Oh, they HATE Greenpeace, and did as far as I can tell sink the Calypso...

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
This was a huge controversy in Australia/New Zealand. Most Aussies/Kiwis would remember this incident and the way France manipulated the Kiwis into releasing the pair. Needless to say there is still a large residue of bitterness that Aussies/Kiwis have towards the French over this incident and France's past refusal to end nuclear testing at Muroroa Atoll. In 1995 the French consulate in Perth was firebombed after the French resumed their nuclear testing program.
The worse thing about this incident was the spineless response of the Australian, American and British governments who were meant to be NZ's allies. Imagine if something like this happened in America and the culprits were the agents of a (supposedly friendly) Middle Eastern country. Unfortunately as a previous poster mentioned this just another in a long line of instances where bigger countries throw their weight around at the expense of smaller countries.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Yeah and it doesn't help that the New Zealand All Blacks, one of the three best rugby teams in the world (the other being Austrailia and South Africa), lost to France in the last Rugby World Cup. It was called the WORST upset in Rugby History...that's like the Lakers getting stomped by the Clippers.